Main > The Library

Ridley Scott's "Robin Hood"

<< < (2/13) > >>

Sir William:
There was one w/Uma Thurman?  Oh, the one w/Patrick Bergin.  I haven't seen it in its entirety as of yet.  I'm a fan of the Costner one, just because it was an excellent example of a swashbuckler epic.  However, I think this one, Ridley Scott's version is my current favorite.

Sir Edward:

I enjoyed the story very much, and thought it was an interesting take on the Robin Hood story. But as with any film, you have to ignore all the historical mistakes. What makes me smile though is when they get a few things right.

For instance, in this version, when Marion (Cate Blanchett) is serving food and drink on Robin's first visit to their home, she's cutting the wine with water (which they did), and in a statement of disdain/distrust, only pours water for Robin. It's a subtle detail, but speaks volumes if you know what you're looking at.

Sir Brian:
I enjoyed the movie as well. I've given up the hope that Hollywood will ever get it historically correct and just switch that part of mind off because even the medieval genre movie is much preferable to any Twilight movie. - Except maybe the horrendous movie 'In the Name of the King'. ;)

Sir William:
Awww, you didn't like In the Name of the King, Sir Brian?  The script was so awful as to be unintentionally hilarious, not to mention Boll made almost no use of the star talent he managed to get (Ray Liotta, John Rhys-Davies, Jason Statham, Lee Lee Sobieski, Kristanna Loken, et al) so it was like each one had decided to play their character one way or another (humorous, serious, doleful, angry, etc) and none seemed to go well together.  Decent action scenes though.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2013-11-19, 14:55:08 ---I enjoyed the movie as well. I've given up the hope that Hollywood will ever get it historically correct and just switch that part of mind off because even the medieval genre movie is much preferable to any Twilight movie. - Except maybe the horrendous movie 'In the Name of the King'. ;)

--- End quote ---

I liked "In the Name of the King", the first one, but I'm quite partial to Leelee Sobieski after her Joan of Arc. ;) The second ITNOTK was dreadful - with Dolph Lundgren, who I really liked in Showdown in Little Tokyo - but perhaps half my enjoyment of that movie was Tia Carrere too.

Apparently I rate movie enjoyment in part based on the female actors.

--- Quote from: LionPride32 on 2013-11-19, 01:07:57 ---Evening, gents!

I was wondering what anyone else has to say about Ridley Scott's depiction of 12th/13th century England in his film Robin Hood??

The first time I watched it I was hooked. Danny Huston's portayal of an older Richard I was great, in my opinion! The siege of Chalus castle at the beginning was a great action opener, but it was too short. I think that's what the films only major downfall is...battle scenes not long enough! And I'm appalled to find THIS version of "Robin Hood" in the $5 !?  Wtf I say!!
I am a proud owner of the movies's King Richard Sword by Windlass steelcrafts. I olan on reveiwing it in the armor section.

--- End quote ---

I didn't care for the, what seemed to me, random insertion of the masons/stonemasons of his father. I don't think it added anything to the story, and it made me feel like they wanted to throw in some random conspiracy theory or intrigue.

I also didn't care at all for the "let me just pop up out of this water and shoot my soaking wet bow and arrow a half mile down the beach into this dude's neck". I let the terrible armor go, I let the combat go.. but that archery bit just irked me badly. Possibly since I've done archery since I was a kid, and it felt like it took Robin Hood from plausible historical legend to outright lunacy.

Aside from those, it was decent. I had a new appreciation for the things they did do right with the movie after watching a "behind the scenes" interview with Crowe about the intent of the movie. I think it's on YouTube, I caught it on History Channel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version