Main > The Library

Ridley Scott's "Robin Hood"

<< < (3/13) > >>

LionPride32:
I've never really been into archery, so what would happen with a wet bow and arrow? Lol sounds silly asking, but would it bing wet hinder the accuracy of the arrow? Anyway, I guess if your too much of a stickler for historical accuracy, if you nitpick everything you can never enjoy the film your watching. That goes for any kind of movie.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: LionPride32 on 2013-11-27, 16:00:51 ---I've never really been into archery, so what would happen with a wet bow and arrow? Lol sounds silly asking, but would it bing wet hinder the accuracy of the arrow? Anyway, I guess if your too much of a stickler for historical accuracy, if you nitpick everything you can never enjoy the film your watching. That goes for any kind of movie.

--- End quote ---

A wet string is heavy and has improper "let off", which makes the arrow fire slower and softer too. It is also more likely to snap. A wet arrow will absorb water and be heavier, being less accurate, and not flying as far or as fast. The fletching (feathers) will also affect it's flight. Nothing "historical" to that, it still happens even with modern bows and modern arrows - unless you are talking about steel arrows, plastic feathers, and compound bows with steel cables instead of string. Even a modern longbow suffers the same issues.

It did have a large effect historically, too. In Japan, after the country opened up a bit and allowed others to come in, they started trading for firearms. Some of the samurai took to them right away, discarding their bows. Not all of them, though. And some of those samurai learned that early firearms were inferior to traditional bows in some instances. The black powder could get wet, or misfire. Wet arrows and strings had to dry out or they had high miss and failure rates. The guns could rust quickly in the humid climate, and couldn't be lacquered like their armor and arrows could. As the tech advanced, guns became superior in every aspect, and the bow finally faded away in combat - kept alive only in the Kyudo tradition.

I'm pretty good about separating the history in movies. Ironclad wasn't accurate. Black Death wasn't accurate. A Knight's Tale isn't accurate. Black Knight isn't accurate. Excalibur isn't accurate. I still enjoy all of those movies. :) I liked a lot of Robin Hood. I still bought the DVD. Just a few things in it that really chewed at me since it was *trying* to be historical but had such a glaring "seriously?!" moment as the climax.

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-11-28, 14:32:55 ---
--- Quote from: LionPride32 on 2013-11-27, 16:00:51 ---I've never really been into archery, so what would happen with a wet bow and arrow? Lol sounds silly asking, but would it bing wet hinder the accuracy of the arrow? Anyway, I guess if your too much of a stickler for historical accuracy, if you nitpick everything you can never enjoy the film your watching. That goes for any kind of movie.

--- End quote ---

A wet string is heavy and has improper "let off", which makes the arrow fire slower and softer too. It is also more likely to snap. A wet arrow will absorb water and be heavier, being less accurate, and not flying as far or as fast. The fletching (feathers) will also affect it's flight. Nothing "historical" to that, it still happens even with modern bows and modern arrows - unless you are talking about steel arrows, plastic feathers, and compound bows with steel cables instead of string. Even a modern longbow suffers the same issues.

It did have a large effect historically, too. In Japan, after the country opened up a bit and allowed others to come in, they started trading for firearms. Some of the samurai took to them right away, discarding their bows. Not all of them, though. And some of those samurai learned that early firearms were inferior to traditional bows in some instances. The black powder could get wet, or misfire. Wet arrows and strings had to dry out or they had high miss and failure rates. The guns could rust quickly in the humid climate, and couldn't be lacquered like their armor and arrows could. As the tech advanced, guns became superior in every aspect, and the bow finally faded away in combat - kept alive only in the Kyudo tradition.

I'm pretty good about separating the history in movies. Ironclad wasn't accurate. Black Death wasn't accurate. A Knight's Tale isn't accurate. Black Knight isn't accurate. Excalibur isn't accurate. I still enjoy all of those movies. :) I liked a lot of Robin Hood. I still bought the DVD. Just a few things in it that really chewed at me since it was *trying* to be historical but had such a glaring "seriously?!" moment as the climax.

--- End quote ---

Well if we made our own ending to the film the arrow will fly about 50 feet, and hit king john instead. Lol

LionPride32:
Well from what I've read, a movie that is notoriousl innacurate is "Braveheart". I can watch it over and over and not get sick of it lol. "Braveheart", "Kingdom of Heaven" and R.S. "Robin Hood" are my top 3 never-get-sick-of medieval movies.

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: LionPride32 on 2013-11-30, 00:53:21 ---Well from what I've read, a movie that is notoriousl innacurate is "Braveheart". I can watch it over and over and not get sick of it lol. "Braveheart", "Kingdom of Heaven" and R.S. "Robin Hood" are my top 3 never-get-sick-of medieval movies.

--- End quote ---

You and me are going to get along very well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version