Main > The Armoury

My Kit...14th Century for CotT (SCA Legal)

<< < (16/22) > >>

Ian:
Isn't a sugarloaf a bit early for your kit?

Don Jorge:
Two kits! I will post updates...splinted armor 1345-50 kit with sugarloaf and knee length heraldic tabard....then 1380 full plate articulated joints with jupon and visored basinet....that is more long term as it is beyond my skill to make :)

I have the metal for splints and bought the leather etc...the corrazina will go into the 2nd kit and making a CoP for this kit.

Ian:
Even then, sugarloafs are squarely centered around the 1290's, early 1300's.  Effigies from the 1340's are virtually all bascinets.  There are a few manuscripts dated to the mid 1300's that depict sugarloafs, but they're dating often spans huge swaths, like 1300-1350, so they're not very precisely dated at all.  Sugarloafs, if in use at that time would be very old-fashioned for a Knight.  You would most certainly be talked about behind your back at court :) lol

If you're going for historical accuracy, I would maybe try to pass it off that this was your father's helm, and yours is being repaired.  Just remember, knights were the 1% of their time. ;)

Don Jorge:
The other guy who buy a helm from this Armorer got back to me with this msg:

I did get a tracking number. Haven't gotten the helmet yet.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction.action?tRef=fullpage&tLc=1&text28777=&tLabels=CP180020083UA

The tracking says it went THROUGH US customs on April 3rd....not sure why it hasn't gotten to him yet...but hey at least he sent something through customs!

Yeah it would have been very old fashioned for a sugarloaf in the 1350...maybe I need to see how far back I can date splinted armor with floating cops...I bet I can get around the 1325 date for the sculpture at Bargello Palace in Florence posted below. I will definitely need to look into more chain...probably a hauberk and mail chausses....then get a haubergon for the late 14th century kit....

Don Jorge:
Looks like the helmet is out for delivery! So I am waiting for the owner of the helm to give me a review but if all goes well Friday I am ordering my sugarloaf!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version