Main > The Armoury

My Kit...14th Century for CotT (SCA Legal)

<< < (15/22) > >>

Ian:
If you look carefully at the effigy, at just above above his waist you see the outline starting to bow out.  I suspect there's some sort of globose protection underneath, be it a pair of plates (corrazina) or a solid breastplate.  That's the problem with understanding the early cuirass.  In the 14th century virtually all torso protection is covered, making it impossible to tell exactly what's worn underneath except by general outline.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2014-01-03, 20:31:39 ---remember the guys that could afford most of this were on horse. and where's the easiest thing to hit  on a horseman by a foot solider? his legs. i reckon the upper arms weren't developed due to the "downward swing?" of the horseman? maybe dunno.

i dont think its a brig. brigs aren't developed until really the 1450s i think.
it almost looks like a padded jupon or quilted gambeson

--- End quote ---

^ this. Aside from helmets, of which most don't articulate, the leg defense and body defense were the two to advance the fastest, torso being vital to protect (lookin' at you, archers!), and lower legs being more likely to be struck by anyone on the ground. Arms needed the most mobility since they wield weapons, were less likely to be struck, and have a wider range of motion than legs do.

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-01-03, 22:17:14 ---If you look carefully at the effigy, at just above above his waist you see the outline starting to bow out.  I suspect there's some sort of globose protection underneath, be it a pair of plates (corrazina) or a solid breastplate.  That's the problem with understanding the early cuirass.  In the 14th century virtually all torso protection is covered, making it impossible to tell exactly what's worn underneath except by general outline.

--- End quote ---

Seconded. That's not a "natural" place for the garment to hang inward like that without some form of solid protection underneath giving that shape.

Sir Wolf:
why not? can't we all have hour glass figures? you all be hatin!

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2014-01-05, 23:43:52 ---why not? can't we all have hour glass figures? you all be hatin!

--- End quote ---

I suppose it's vaguely possible, but you'd have to be very emaciated to have that high of a "hourglass" silhouette as a male. And I doubt someone with that kind of build would be able to wear plate and battle, too.

Don Jorge:
So I am looking at buying the sugarloaf in this thread: http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=2577671#p2577671

He offered it to me for $200...sounded a bit desperate...and he doesn't have a reputation of someone like Maxim or Tengushin so I am a bit wary of sending him all my money without ready reviews....I PM'd the other guy who supposedly bought it and he saw the message but hasnt responded.

Worth the risk?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version