Main > The Armoury

My Kit...14th Century for CotT (SCA Legal)

<< < (7/22) > >>

Ian:
Those price quotes seem about right.  No offense to Mad Matt, but photo comparisons between his work and The Surly Anvil explain the difference in price.  The Surly Anvil's pieces are much more historic in shape and line, and therefore considerably more difficult to craft.  You're paying not only for the material and level of finishing, but the skill required to make these things.  At the end of the day the people who make more historically shaped armor are always going to have what seem like significantly higher prices than the armorers who cater to the munitions market.

The Surly Anvil also does total fantasy pieces, but even on those the shaping and finishing is done to a much higher caliber.

As far as a good splinted spring armorer, 3 months ago I would have pointed you to Erik at Wintertree Crafts, but he's on hiatus for a good long while.  He only works in spring as far as I know, and pays attention to both historical shaping and the SCA requirements.  But it's moot for the next 18 months.

**EDIT**
If JUST for splinted stuff, 6k is a bit high, that helmet alone could be around $2K + but if it's all splinted, that's still a bit steep.  As we talked about on facebook, let us know when you get a line-item breakdown of a quote from him and we'll have a better feel for what that money is going to.

Thorsteinn:
My $0.02: If I had it to do over again I would have gotten the 12 ga mild instead of the 14 ga Stainless for my helm. Maintenance would have been easier and while Stainless is harder it doesn't flex as much and thus doesn't absorb energy as well.

I find that, for helms, Stainless is actually sub optimal for the same thickness, for in deformation there is energy absorption. My next helm won't be stainless, for even though there are only 4 dents in this hat after 4 years I would rather it had dented more. My head & neck would be happier.

Thorsteinn:
What about Anshelm? Clang? or Icefalcon?

Don Jorge:
Aye I am going to send out some feelers and get an idea of the market for Spring Steel splinted armor set. Also going to talk with John Gruber on the phone and get a break down of his quote.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Belemrys on 2013-11-27, 16:41:19 ---I think I have a spare kidney...it is amazing to see how prices vary from armorer to armorer.

The Surly Anvil (John Gruber) quoted me for a Bascinet and shovel visor, splinted arms, legs, greaves and shoulders and a COP (for some reason made of Spring instead of simple mild which really is all that is needed) about 6k and if I wanted fingered spring steel gauntlets 1500 more...

Mad Matt about 2k. Although maybe that didn't include the bascinet made of Spring Steel...but I cant see why that would raise the price that much more (It had a great helm in the quote instead of the bascinet and visor).

Anyone know a good place to get splinted spring steel armor?

Thanks,
Jorge

--- End quote ---

I paid a bit over $2K for a spring steel leg harness (upper leg, greaves, sabatons). Doesn't include body, shoulders, arms, gauntlets or helmets, just the legs. Spring steel is expensive, no way in getting around that. As Sir Ian has said, if you're getting cheaper armor, it's likely due to less focus on historical lines, less experience in armoring, less refined pattern, etc - there are some exceptions, such as those making armor as a hobby are cheaper than those as a business - but that also tends to relate to the experience level as well. Generally speaking, like most things, you get what you pay for; it's up to you to decide what you want from the armor as far as quality, durability, accuracy, fitment, etc.

If you didn't talk directly to Mad Matt, prices on his site are way out of date. He hasn't updated it in at least a year, maybe more.

--- Quote from: Belemrys on 2013-11-27, 21:18:02 ---Aye I am going to send out some feelers and get an idea of the market for Spring Steel splinted armor set. Also going to talk with John Gruber on the phone and get a break down of his quote.

--- End quote ---

John Gruber at Surly Anvil is reasonably priced for spring steel work. Yes, it's expensive relative to mild steel - but that's still apples and oranges. He's also been making armor for quite a while, fights in armor he makes, and has good attention to historical details. I don't have any armor from him yet but have discussed something for when I've saved up enough later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version