Main > The Armoury

My Kit...14th Century for CotT (SCA Legal)

<< < (8/22) > >>

Don Jorge:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-11-21, 00:55:40 ---Belemrys,

Towards the bottom of this thread, Maxim of WildArmoury has a cool set of splinted arms and legs for sale done in tempered spring steel for a very good price.  Might be worth looking at:

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=166593

--- End quote ---

I been talking to Maxim and he seems to have very good prices and likes to do custom work to fit the effigy I want to use...I wonder what you guys have heard about him and his work...he does a lot of the work on wool instead of leather...which is historical but less lasting...he can do it in leather he says so it isnt a major problem or anything but yeah...he also said that for shoulders for the Schwarzburger effigy they arent really shown but he suggesting getting some like these: http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/943075_595992650419724_1620617555_n.jpg

It has an air about it that I like but not sure how it will mix with all the splinted stuff...it would have extra plates with it he said for protection...not sure what mechanism he is looking to employ and before I commit to anything I would want to see how it looks when worn...

Anyhow any reviews on Maxim and his work?

Here is an album of the splinted stuff he makes: https://www.facebook.com/maxim.suprovich/media_set?set=a.416423661709958.100894.100000269843814&type=3

Sir James A:
I've got a set of blackened spring steel legs from Maxim. Good stuff. I've also got a set of mild steel cuisses, arms, and pauldrons on the way. Shipped a week or two ago, but it's a gamble with when it will get delivered from the Ukraine. Sometimes it's a couple weeks, sometimes 8+ ... all depends on customs. Will let you know more when I get the armor.

His communication is great, even with the language barrier. Haven't fought in any of his armor, but articulation is good.

Ian:
Yeah, you'll see a lot of people on the AA whine about shipping from the Ukraine, but 99% of the time their beef is with US customs, not the Ukrainian shipper.  I've had several items sent from overseas and have had minimal issue.  I actually have an item from Poland that just cleared customs yesterday and it only took 2 days to process through.

USPS.com will now track international shipping labels also, so you can see exactly when it hits New York and how long they drag their asses.  If you find an overseas dealer that will ship UPS or FedEx, those services have their own in-house customs inspection sites and they are much faster.

Don Jorge:
Have any of you used age of craft? They have a set of splinted stuff that they use my exact effigy as the source. Except they don't have the fluted knee cops...if shipping were not such a big issue with armor I would want to piecemeal my set. Age of craft have spring steel cops for under 400 usd! But their other stuff is a bit more expensive...and their linen gambeson with sheep wool batting is only 95 usd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir Wolf:
just a heads up with splinted armour. be mindful of rust. it is a lot harder to clean splints on leather. you will have a tendency to tear up the leather.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version