Main > The Armoury

Only the best will do, especially chainmail.

(1/7) > >>

Aiden of Oreland:
So, I am seeking to buy(in the future) great chainmail. I want long sleeve, at least to my knees, mailli. I researched and believe that flat head rivited mailli is the best. What would you recomend? What have you got? I want mailli that can take "steel to steel" weapon contact. I don't care the price as long as it is less than $2,000.

Sir Edward:

I'd check out Icefalcon, as well as the GDFB options on KoA (the mouse-over glossary should be working for those abbreviations).

What you're looking for is a long-sleeve hauberk. The term "haubergeon" means a shorter, half-sleeved mail shirt, whereas "hauberk" is the longer, full-sleeve version.

To know what size you need, you need to start with whatever under-garments you'll use (such as a gambeson or aketon), and get a chest measurement over that. Then add at least 4 inches, preferably 6.

Keep in mind it's easier to resize mail downward than upward. It's also easier to grow into mail that's too big, than to lose a bunch of weight and keep it off as you get older. :)

Sir Ulrich:
I know places where to get some for less than your budget actually. I would suggest wedge riveted flat ring maille with alternating solid rings due to the flat inside of the wedge riveted being softer on the gambesons.
They sell it here at Kult of Athena for good prices http://www.kultofathena.com/armor-mail.asp
They also sell dome riveted here http://allbeststuff.com/c-medieval-chainmail-armor
I'd suggest getting the one with alternating flat punched rings however as it would be more period for the "age of maille" plus less likely to lock up. I had a fully riveted dome riveted hauberk and it locked up in the middle of combat. Both of those options will hold up to fighting though.
If you REALLY wanna get super accurate maille you could wait and contact Erik D Schmid and he would have his made and would be in the thousands, but it would be better than any other maille around only issue is it would be in the thousands and would have quite a waiting time on it.

Aiden of Oreland:
Ok cool. But while we are on the subject. How do i clean maille? Mine is a bit rusty.

Sir Ulrich:
I would suggest renting a cement mixer or tumbler and tumble it with some sand and that would polish it up. A dryer could work but I would only suggest that for smaller things like coifs or chausses. I did that with mine and it polished it up nicely and left a cool patina on it. I would avoid chemical solutions but I dont know much of that, I tend to avoid those myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version