Main > The Armoury

Only the best will do, especially chainmail.

<< < (2/7) > >>

Aiden of Oreland:
Where could i get a tumbler?

Sir James A:
Be prepared to replace rings if you're doing steel to steel contact. They will bend and break. It's not hard, but it will require a bit of maintenance.

Cement mixer and sand wasn't very satisfactory results for me. Might have been the sand? I let it run for hours. Minimal difference, though that was stainless mail I wanted to polish. If you have mild steel mail, keep it oiled and it will minimize the rusting.

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-11-07, 04:13:15 ---Be prepared to replace rings if you're doing steel to steel contact. They will bend and break. It's not hard, but it will require a bit of maintenance.

Cement mixer and sand wasn't very satisfactory results for me. Might have been the sand? I let it run for hours. Minimal difference, though that was stainless mail I wanted to polish. If you have mild steel mail, keep it oiled and it will minimize the rusting.

--- End quote ---

How would you recomend I clean it? Well I guess it depends on the steel and finish. But im looking for a natural finish maille.

Sir Ulrich:
I usually just take the maille, I find a minor patch of rust and I scrap the rings together for about 20 minutes straight and then the rust is gone mostly after that. I suggest wearing thick leather gloves while doing it it works for removing small patches of rust for me. Thats the way the romans used to clean their maille and it works and sure there may be a little rust left but it wont be what it was and it will give it a nice period look.

Sir Edward:

One of the rust cleaning methods I saw mentioned (Jeff Hedgcock I think), was to use the wood chips they sell for keeping pet rodents, and throw that in a sack with the mail and roll it around. I think Bill had tried that, wasn't satisfied with it at first, but then noticed that it had loosened up all the rust and it just needed to be shaken or wiped off. I haven't tried it, but then I opted for stainless. :)

For oiling to prevent rust, there are spray-on gun oils that could be used. But of course, any oil will rub off into your aketon/gambeson.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version