Main > The Great Hall

New to this World...

<< < (3/10) > >>

Sir Gerard de Rodes:
Welcome Belemrys, and good speed to you.
G.

Don Jorge:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2013-11-06, 22:24:06 ---
--- Quote from: Belemrys on 2013-11-06, 21:13:55 ---
So...like I said...are there any resources showing side by side armor from different centuries in different countries?

--- End quote ---

Well, there's this: http://www.thortrains.com/uniforms/fullarmor1.jpg It's pretty basic, but it might give you some ideas as to what time-frame you want to shoot for. You sound like you're a Late Middle Ages fellow. That's when you started seeing plate gain favor over maille. I mentioned in another thread that I'm a big fan of this book when it comes to armor. The chapters are broken down by century, and there are a lot of really nice photos of period armor and illustrations. Might be worth checking out.

--- End quote ---

Awesome! Exactly the type of resources I am looking for...I will check and see if I can find that book in my local library (doubt it).

Thanks,
Jorge

Sir James A:
Yep, as was said, arming garments are critical to having armor - particularly plate - not be a horrendous experience. And the time period you're shooting for, whether it's "around 1410-1420" or "about 1450 give or take 25 years" is an important first step before picking out what you want.

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2013-11-06, 21:48:17 ---I'll let Sir James regale you with the tale on how he got all of that harness together; now, once you've picked out what period you want to shoot for and how historically accurate you want to get, we can then suggest some armorers you might want to get acquainted with.

--- End quote ---

Ha! Well, the helmet (not pictured) is an MRL armet for now. The mail standard/collar, I made. The cuirass, arms, gauntlets, and upper legs are by Allan of Mercenary's Tailor - no longer in business, but he sells pieces here and there - and if you're lucky enough to get some, it's some of the best functional armor you can get for the price. The greaves are from the Ukraine, by HammerBreaker. The sabatons are by Mad Matt up in Canada (Mad Matt's armory). The mail is by IceFalcon and I had to expand the fauld (still working on voiders, so, not pictured). The shoes are Viking Leather 14th century w/ties, the pants are GDFB 15th century wool pants, Revival Clothing linen shirt, with a Revival Clothing arming coat. No gambeson or padding. Sword belt is by Inner Bailey Leatherworks, sword is an Albion Mercenary. I think that covers it, aside from that I wear modern boxers and socks under it all. :)

It's not based on a specific harness, and is English/Italian in style. It is a "composite" of around 1525, meaning made up of different parts of armor from similar styles and decades, but not based on a harness that was specifically produced as a single armor.

It's extremely rare for an armorer to work in the huge span of all medieval armor, so if you have any specific time frame, I'd be happy to point you towards armorers who make what you'd be looking for.

Don Jorge:
From what I have been looking at I am torn between 1515 Maximilian type armor (he is my favorite Hapsberg Monarch)...or something like Sir Brian has as far as transitional armor...I think that might be cheaper than the Maximilian type armor...

http://www.illusionarmoring.com/16thsuit.html

Looks like it would be about 1500 plus shipping plus strapping and a random 350 dollar charge?

Sir James A:
Illusion is known for long wait times. And then being late too. If you have around 18 months or so to wait, it might be worth a try. They're quoting a year for orders, I recall seeing orders that were a year past the original delivery date and still unfinished (though a few years back).

Maximillian armor is heavily fluted. Open up a home equity line of credit or something. Roughly $15,000 for a cheap one out of mild steel. If you want heat treated steel, I'd say you're talking $20,000+ range. It's one of the styles I'd love to have, few people make, and I'll never have unless I hit the lotto or end up having kids who hit the lotto... :)

Transitional armor is MUCH more reasonable in price. It is also easier to get it fitting properly, whereas plate has very little forgiveness in fitment. I've spent many hours getting mine tweaked to a decent fitment. As far as transitional, I have a GDFB bascinet, coat of plates (aluminum), and (in stainless) steel spaulders, steel knee and elbow cops, splint arms and splint legs. I think it was around $1,000 and since it's almost all stainless (except the helm and coat of plates), it won't rust. However, I got the coat of plates used for a steal price of $100 or so. I don't have gauntlets for it, but you could probably get a similar suit for about $1,000 roughly. If you want to check out Mad Matt's site (he made the spaulders/splint arms/splint legs, and my sabatons in my avatar pic), here's his site:

http://www.madmattsarmory.com/

Sir Brian should be able to refer you to sources for his armor. I believe it is also Mercenary's Tailor, but I'm not 100% sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version