Main > The Armoury

Where to begin? New Kit in the working..

<< < (5/9) > >>

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Jason on 2013-10-24, 15:52:06 ---I was browsing at the effigies and a common theme, for late 1200's to late 1300's, that i see is what appears to be Chain mail all the way down to the boot. Maybe the chain is affixed to the boot as one piece like booted pants or separate legs?? Later in the 1300's you start to see more plate pieces, like knee cops and greaves. I think i will check into the Osprey series books as well as see what i can find on written accounts of armor worn through the ages.

--- End quote ---

That's accurate.  13th century kit is primarily a maille hauberk (knee length top and long sleeves), and maille chausses (the leggings), and maille coif (hood).  Under that would be a gambeson, similar to the nice one Jessica Finley made for Sir Ed.  And then you cover it with a nice long heraldic surcoat and top it with a great helm.

By the late 13th and early 14th, you start to see plate elbows, knees and schynbalds starting to get strapped over that while the shape of the great helm evolves a bit.

Osprey disclaimer, some are great resources, some are abysmal.  Osprey's just the publisher, some of their authors and artists are really great, but there are some who are blatantly terrible and inaccurate.  Compare what you're seeing in the Osprey books to the effigies of the same period to make sure what you're looking at is somewhat accurate.

Sir James A:
The nice thing about early transitional is you can start by doing arming garments, then mail. The plate needs to be worn over the mail, so the plate portion is irrelevant for a while, as you'll need measurements *over* the mail anyway. Once you have your time frame narrowed down, focus on the garments first, then mail.

Also, you can get Osprey books off Amazon. I got 10 or so of them from there.

Most chausses I've seen are like a long stocking. I need to trim mine around the feet, but they are otherwise complete. I have some "mail time" set aside this weekend to work on that and my hauberk tailoring. In testing at home - no actual long-term wearing yet - I found it easiest to put on the chausses, tie the feet/lower up out of the way, put the shoes on, then let the mail back down. It would be tied down after.

I sent Ulrich a few messages about it on FB, but I have a plan that essentially involves using some black leather trim on the inside of the chausses to have some quick and dirty, easy to tie on chausses w/feet. I'll post pics next week if I get at least one foot done this weekend.

Sir Jason Simonds:
Sir James,

From what I have seen from the Effigies, it looks as if the chausses are attached to the footwear by lacing under the boot or connected directly to the boot, and then secured around the ankle and heel by way of either lacing or spurs. I would assume that a pair of leggings of some sort would have been worn underneath?? You know to keep stuff protected as well..

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Jason on 2013-10-25, 02:07:13 ---Sir James,

From what I have seen from the Effigies, it looks as if the chausses are attached to the footwear by lacing under the boot or connected directly to the boot, and then secured around the ankle and heel by way of either lacing or spurs. I would assume that a pair of leggings of some sort would have been worn underneath?? You know to keep stuff protected as well..

--- End quote ---

The leggings worn beneath maille are typically lightly padded and quilted chausses.  Kind of like a gambeson for your legs.

Sir James A:
Exactly what Sir Ian said.

Spurs would certainly help hold it in place. My spurs used to hold the back of my sabatons in place before I added a separate strap, in case I didn't feel like tripping myself constantly.

Dr Metz has a great picture of the lacing beneath his shoe, but I don't have it on hand. Flat soled shoes mean you'll be walking on lacing all day, so it will wear out a bit faster. I like the lugged soles (modern soles) since it's not really visible, and you can "nest" the lacing inside of the lugs a bit. Again, still an "at home" prototype, but seems promising.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version