Main > The Armoury

Where to begin? New Kit in the working..

<< < (6/9) > >>

Sir Jason Simonds:
Well I am thinking at this point I need to find some good resourses on arming garments so I can work on those as well. At this point I think i will start looking into chainmail. Perhaps something that can work well over an extended time range.

Ian:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-10-25, 13:09:19 ---Exactly what Sir Ian said.

Spurs would certainly help hold it in place. My spurs used to hold the back of my sabatons in place before I added a separate strap, in case I didn't feel like tripping myself constantly.

Dr Metz has a great picture of the lacing beneath his shoe, but I don't have it on hand. Flat soled shoes mean you'll be walking on lacing all day, so it will wear out a bit faster. I like the lugged soles (modern soles) since it's not really visible, and you can "nest" the lacing inside of the lugs a bit. Again, still an "at home" prototype, but seems promising.

--- End quote ---

Period correct footwear with a flat sole will not cause problems with a strap.  Most inexpensive reproduction period footwear uses leather on the bottom that is too thick, and that does cause problems.  Real period footwear has a very supple sole and puts no pressure on the arch of the foot, so as long as you don't have flat feet, the strap of a spur should basically occupy the space under the arch of your foot.  It's more like walking barefoot than in a shoe.  Nice soft flexible soles on good reproduction period footwear will help eliminate the problem that Sir James is describing.  We as modern folk are used to a hard sole, so it takes getting used to, but period footwear was designed to be soft so that you could feel and grip the ground with your foot and not slip.  The problem is generally that good period footwear is hard to find or expensive, or both.  Mass produced period footwear is not good period footwear.

Sir James A:
Agreed on the footwear, Sir Ian, and you're spot on in where the strap sits, in the arch of the foot, with sabatons. With chausses, it's a little different since the lacing travels the length of the foot in multiple spots, and not just under the arch. I dug up the link to Dr Metz's photo to show what I'm talking about:

I think lugged soles are a good option for that. On my shoes for the sabatons, I knocked off the lugs where the strap passes under. Lacing should fit between without needing to do anything to the soles.

Sir Douglas:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-10-25, 16:02:10 ---Period correct footwear with a flat sole will not cause problems with a strap.  Most inexpensive reproduction period footwear uses leather on the bottom that is too thick, and that does cause problems.  Real period footwear has a very supple sole and puts no pressure on the arch of the foot, so as long as you don't have flat feet, the strap of a spur should basically occupy the space under the arch of your foot.  It's more like walking barefoot than in a shoe.  Nice soft flexible soles on good reproduction period footwear will help eliminate the problem that Sir James is describing.  We as modern folk are used to a hard sole, so it takes getting used to, but period footwear was designed to be soft so that you could feel and grip the ground with your foot and not slip.  The problem is generally that good period footwear is hard to find or expensive, or both.  Mass produced period footwear is not good period footwear.

--- End quote ---

I don't mean to derail the thread here, but on this note, how are the shoes from Viking Leathercrafts? I've heard nothing but good things about them and was planning on getting a pair sometime soon.

Sir Brian:
Frank does excellent work!
If you happen to have wide feet though, make sure you specify that when you order them so he can make the necessary adjustments. When I recently received my new knight jousting boots they were standard width which is way too narrow for my flipper-like feet. Yet when I contacted him via email he readily replied and suggested I pour some rubbing alcohol into them and wear them around a bit to stretch them out and man that worked like a charm because now they fit perfectly! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version