Main > The Armoury

Where to begin? New Kit in the working..

(1/9) > >>

Sir Jason Simonds:
As many of you may know I am in the process of redesigning my whole Knightly Persona. This is to include new Heraldry, of which I have completed the new design.

I have started already with a new tabard, which has made its debut the final day of MDRF.

Now to start building my new kit. I have decided to go with somewhere in the 13th Century using a Great helmet, Maile of the flat riveted variety, pauldrons, bracers and greaves.

Now to find the parts and put them together...

Sir William:
I caught that...nicely done, Jason.  If you're looking for quality armor at a really good price, I'd look no further than Allan of Mercenary's Tailor.  He has a new website, but I don't know what it is offhand.  I bet one of the other knights knows it, though.  It was great seeing you, albeit briefly- which was my bad.

Sir Brian:
Your new surcoat looked great!  :)

It being of the longer variety should fit in nicely with your target armor period. A couple of aspects to consider is early or late 13th (i.e. 1200 – 1300), the later part of the century really showing the acceleration of the transitional armor from maille to plate. Yet if you opt for a full hauberk you could add pieces onto it. Something I do not think I’ve seen much of is genuine Cuir Boulli (boiled leather) which would have been a likely predecessor to steel cops and perhaps even greaves, although that period was predominantly maille chausses. 

Sir Edward:

One thing I want to note-- plate armor is decidedly a 14th century sort of thing. With a great helm and longer surcoat, you're looking at the earlier half of the 14th to mix those elements with plate or transitional armor. Prior to 1300 (the 12th century), the armor was almost entirely mail, and the plate components would be limited to knees, ailettes, coats of plates, etc, and not pauldrons or breastplates.

Just pointing this out as an "adjustment" to the years. You're thinking 14th century, not 13th. :)

Sir James A:
Allan's new site is http://merctailor.webs.com/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version