Main > The Great Hall

Hello

<< < (5/5)

B. Patricius:
Tim,

well met and sorry for the late welcome!  I've definitely already appreciated your posts and topics.  Looking forward to working with you, having a history/geneologist is definitely going to be an asset to this community.

Timothy:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2013-08-29, 16:50:25 ---
--- Quote from: TimothyPaulGallagher on 2013-08-24, 05:04:17 ---

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2013-08-24, 01:58:21 ---No worries. :) I think it's pretty cool that you know enough about your familial history to be able to do that. I, unfortunately, have no idea where my family comes from beyond a few generations. I've always wondered about it, though.

--- End quote ---

If you would like help getting started on your family history I would be most willing to help.

--- End quote ---

Just out of curiosity, how much would I have to already know about my family history in order to be able to trace it back farther? Where would someone even start with something like that?

--- End quote ---

Sir Douglas,

I would say you would need to know when and where you and your parents were born. Then I would start by taking to the oldest members of your extended family and writing down or recording, on a tape recorder, ( old school) as much information as you can. If you have them and their are still alive this would include GPs, aunts and uncles older cousins etc.
I have a number of trees at Ancestry and elsewhere and I could set one up for your family to help you start out.
Then when you are ready to go it alone we can download the file and you can place it in any genealogy computer program you like or put it back on Ancestry or other place of your choosing. One of the reasons people can trace their ancestry back, ye unto the middle ages is that royalty and the aristocracy  kept good records on themselves .

If you are interested you can email me at spqr753 at msn.com or call 301-831-3994

Good luck

Tim

Sir James A:
Tim, you might not want to post your phone number publicly, since even non-members of the forum can see these public sections.

Also, how's Ancestry.com? I set up an account there years ago but didn't get too far. Were you able to trace yours back to europe on there?

Lord Dane:
Hi..my name is .. what? ..my name is .. who? ..my name is ...Sir Shady.

Timothy:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-08-30, 14:11:24 ---Tim, you might not want to post your phone number publicly, since even non-members of the forum can see these public sections.

Also, how's Ancestry.com? I set up an account there years ago but didn't get too far. Were you able to trace yours back to europe on there?

--- End quote ---

I use Ancestry for the billions of records that it has and the information other people share. But I take it ALL with a grain of salt. Yes I have used to trace my ancestry back to Europe in fact ( unproved) back to Charlemagne. This is not that unusual in that we are all descendants (those of European heritage) to 80 percent of the people who lived when Charlemagne lived. The most interesting thing I discovered was the fact that the Irish were here (USA)  long before the famine when I though my Gallagher's came over. They were in fact here before the revolution. My English ancestors even earlier. For me the finding is interesting but the search is even more so. Anybody interested can have a free, two week membership at Ancestry or I can work with them from my our account.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version