Main > The Courtyard

Fencing and why I recomend it.

(1/3) > >>

Sir Nate:
Most of the knights our there as me prefer larger swords than what are used in fencing, but fencing contributes and is mentioned in most fighting styles of the medieval era. Not only has it helped teach me balance, but the ability to stay calm in hot gear on hot days. It teaches balance, the base skills in any martial art, and how to use certain blades. there are three, foil, epee, and saber. foil is much of stabbing and lunging, and although i am choosing to learn more foil i have practiced saber, which the attacks are of slicing and that helps one learn techniques when it comes to broadswords. a saber is heavier and has a much thicker blade than foil. If you havent done much with fencing i would recomend it. and as far as gear goes it is one of the cheaper classes. but it does balance out because even the gear is cheaper than other martial arts, the classes themselves are more expensive.

Sir Brian:
So I take it you are a sport fencer? Have you looked into HEMA/WMA? There are several clubs that train in the greater DC area. I belong to a club out of Annapolis Maryland called MASHS where we train with the German (Liechtenauer) tradition of the Longsword, but also the Italian style of Dueling Sabre and Rapier, the French Small sword and Dueling Epee. I am proficient in the Longsword (usually), the Sabre and the Epee although not much better than a novice IMO with the Epee. This fall or early next year we will be starting with the I:33 sword & buckler.  :)

Sir William:
Definitely interested when you guys start I.33, Sir Brian.

Sir Nate:
I am a fencer, but me and my brother were interested in the memags brucke fechtschule in philadelphia, but since im more of a single handed swordsman I also looked at the scottish broadsword academy of pennsylvania.

Sir Nate:
but that is very similar to saber even tho the footwork is different.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version