Main > The Courtyard

Fencing and why I recomend it.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2013-08-20, 21:49:43 ---Definitely interested when you guys start I.33, Sir Brian.
--- End quote ---

Larry is developing the curriculum now. Speaking of buckler I still have yours. Let me know when you intend to make it to MDRF and I'll be sure to bring it. :)

Thorsteinn:
I know of at least 2 KSCA who started as champion sport fencers.

I started in TKD, then SCA Heavy, then I just grabbed what I could and ran cackling into the night.

The one issue I have with sport fencing is how it can instill a lack of a close in game, situational awareness, and knowing how to finish a fight. But it does do quite a bit very well.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Nate on 2013-08-20, 22:46:34 ---I am a fencer, but me and my brother were interested in the memags brucke fechtschule in philadelphia, but since im more of a single handed swordsman I also looked at the scottish broadsword academy of pennsylvania.

--- End quote ---

If you have a chance to study with the MEMAG guys, that's worth doing. They won't steer you wrong.

Sir Vander Linde:
I personally don't like or encourage sport fencing, when in relation to actual martial situations. sure it is a good and healthy sport, but that's what it is, a sport. I honestly have lost track of people who have a sport fencing background that even with a few years of handling real swords get their butts handed to them on a silver platter practically every time. Especially when they are rather cocky about "knowing how to sword fight" because of sport fencing, luckily these people are getting rarer.
My views are probably because I'm a bit of a nut on sword play, so don't take it personally.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Vander Linde on 2013-08-21, 18:06:19 ---I personally don't like or encourage sport fencing, when in relation to actual martial situations. sure it is a good and healthy sport, but that's what it is, a sport. I honestly have lost track of people who have a sport fencing background that even with a few years of handling real swords get their butts handed to them on a silver platter practically every time. Especially when they are rather cocky about "knowing how to sword fight" because of sport fencing, luckily these people are getting rarer.
My views are probably because I'm a bit of a nut on sword play, so don't take it personally.

--- End quote ---

My thoughts are a little off topic, but what you said here reminds me of a parallel in flying.  When we got students in military flight school who had a significant amount of previous flight time in the civilian world, they often struggled in the military flight environment, much more so than the students who had no flying experience.  A lot of the habits learned in civilian flying do not translate and are hard habits for them to break.  I suspect similar things happen in the sport fencing to martial art fencing conversion.  While some of the skills are the same, there are enough differences to cause problems.

Timing and measure may be important skills that do translate, but the goals and intent of the two activities are so different than they may be very hard to get over.  This is why I always frown when I hear about SCA  heavy trying to carry over to HEMA/WMA.  It's two different activities, with similar themes, but they are too different to translate properly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version