"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play, but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache."
                -- Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Author Topic: My look  (Read 12092 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
My look
« on: 2013-08-20, 00:13:12 »
Although my armor will not change much, I don't know if I should keep the templar look forever. It seems many members make there own surcoats and shields. a shield is one thing, but how do you go about making your surcoats. what do they represent? were can I go to get a really nice templar surcoat.
My templar surcoat is dirty, the cross is ruined, and it is a horrible fit. If anyone can tell me how they go about with the inspirations of there designs and how they make them I would again as always, be grateful.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: My look
« Reply #1 on: 2013-08-20, 00:43:10 »
Mine was inspired by a family symbol in my house, I used the sun because of that. Plus I like the look of sun faces, they're rather interesting looking. The cross is similar to the "red baron's" plane which was not intentional but the white border that Ed helped modify made it look as such, it's supposed to symbolize he's a crusader but it has this rather Teutonic look like you'd see on crusader knights. Red and black are my heraldic colors which I think are badass looking together. I made the sun gold/yellow and the border around the cross silver/white to correspond with the rules of heraldry. I quartered it to look better even though this was rare in the 13th century.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-20, 00:56:12 by Sir Ulrich »

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #2 on: 2013-08-20, 02:16:10 »
I modified my surcoat from a pattern of a costume surcoat I picked up at Jo-Ann Fabrics. The neck opening from the original pattern was way too small so I had to enlarge it, but otherwise it's a nice fit. Depending on the style, they can be fairly easy to make if you know a little bit about sewing.

As far as the design of it, I chose an eagle because they were very common in German heraldry (much like the lion is often found in English heraldry), and I'm part German from my father's side. Other than that, I just chose colors that struck my fancy. Eventually, I may make another in the style of either the Hospitallers or the Teutonic knights.

If you're looking to get into designing your own coat of arms, there is virtually an unlimited amount of combinations you can make once you get the basic rules down.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2013-08-20, 03:11:36 »
yes but how do you make the symbols. And what would you recommend in sowing the fabrics. How do you  make the desighn, cut them out?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-08-20, 10:02:58 »
Here's a pattern developed by Tasha Kelly.  She does some of the finest work in the reproduction of historic garments this side of the Middle Ages.  Here's her take on the early 14th century surcoat with good instructions.  Just a disclaimer about my advice.  My primary interest is in accurate Living History portrayals.  So I'm always going to try and point you toward the most historically accurate option or impression for a given piece of kit, unless that's not something you're interested in.

http://cottesimple.com/tutorials/early-14thc-surcotte/
« Last Edit: 2013-08-20, 10:05:56 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #5 on: 2013-08-20, 11:40:16 »
Although my armor will not change much, I don't know if I should keep the templar look forever. It seems many members make there own surcoats and shields. a shield is one thing, but how do you go about making your surcoats. what do they represent? were can I go to get a really nice templar surcoat.
My templar surcoat is dirty, the cross is ruined, and it is a horrible fit. If anyone can tell me how they go about with the inspirations of there designs and how they make them I would again as always, be grateful.

Your surcoat should reflect your family name (i.e. heritage/heraldry) or yourself personally in some fashion. Every design is different but made to fit a format that is symbollic as well as authentic by a historical standpoint. Once you know what you want, we can help you in a design idea. All of us are knowledgeable here & you should make use of the resources to find what makes your 'heraldry' unique to you. Colors, designs, symbols, etc. all follow a pattern and have meaning that defines them in 'heraldry'.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #6 on: 2013-08-20, 14:25:12 »
Part of the good news with surcoats is that they don't have to match your shield/heraldry. They can, but don't have to. You can work all, or just some elements into it, rearrange the charges, or whatever. It's all cool, from a historical standpoint.

But something you might want to consider is whether you want to create your own heraldry, and whether or not you want to design a surcoat to that. Another idea is to go with the templar motif, and then work the cross into heraldry later. Or not, it's all up to you. :)

The charges can be done in a variety of ways, from appliques (sewing on a cut-out piece of fabric in the right shape), to embroidery, to painting it on with fabric paints and a stencil. The one in my avatar image currently has the charges done with appliques, and a "button-hole" sort of thick stitch all the way around. I had that one custom made for me by Jess Finley at Fuhlen Designs. A better view of it (photos are clicky or bigger view):

My previous surcoats were all made by my own hand. The large "ankh" charge on this one is an applique too, but with a simple line-stitch (with the fabric folded in at the edge) all the way around:

I didn't use an actual pattern for mine, but rather eyeballed it. The important things to remember when making a surcoat, IMHO:

1. It should come in at the shoulders, rather than just be a rectangle with arm-holes, otherwise the shoulders stick out way too far.

2. It needs to flare out at the bottom. That is, the "skirt" section needs to widen toward the bottom, like an actual skirt. If it doesn't do this, and is just a rectangle, it will look ridiculously too tight around the legs. The ones I made for myself have a subtle widening here, but the one made by Jess is a huge skirt.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-20, 14:31:18 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2013-08-20, 17:21:18 »
Alright thanks guys, this really will help me. And I have decided on my heraldy, something from my early childhood. ill make it over the next few months, with help from my parents.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2013-08-20, 23:04:17 »
there is also now a really nice crusader surcoat on medievalcollectibles.com for $72 and its original price was $82. Ill get that for now.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2013-08-21, 03:12:57 »
The wonderful thing about surcoats is you don't have to have just one. Keep the templar one. Get a heraldic one done. Add a teutonic one. Or a hospitaler. Or an alternate heraldic one. Or all of the above. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2013-08-21, 17:42:48 »
Think ill get a new templar one. then start getting other surcoats.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Timothy

• "The whole of heraldry and of chivalry is in courtesy" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
« Reply #11 on: 2013-08-24, 00:27:32 »
Hello

I noticed that some, maybe most, make their own surcoats.  I need one made so who would you recommend. It would have my family arms on it.

Thanks

Tim
[br Barry Or and Vert surmounting a Bend counterchanged],
a Lion rampant armed and langued Gules
 an Orle of eight Trefoils slipped Sable counterchanged Or .

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #12 on: 2013-08-24, 12:52:37 »
We know of several folks who will do them. I had one made by Jess at Fuhlen Designs:

http://fuhlendesigns.com/

(incidentally, it's the one in my avatar photo, plus she made the gambeson that I'm wearing under the mail in that photo). A little repeat of info several posts back. :)

« Last Edit: 2013-08-24, 12:53:14 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Timothy

• "The whole of heraldry and of chivalry is in courtesy" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
« Reply #13 on: 2013-08-24, 19:23:04 »
We know of several folks who will do them. I had one made by Jess at Fuhlen Designs:

http://fuhlendesigns.com/

(incidentally, it's the one in my avatar photo, plus she made the gambeson that I'm wearing under the mail in that photo). A little repeat of info several posts back. :)

Thank you Sir Edward
[br Barry Or and Vert surmounting a Bend counterchanged],
a Lion rampant armed and langued Gules
 an Orle of eight Trefoils slipped Sable counterchanged Or .

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2013-08-25, 03:38:37 »
Sir Nathan and I have surcoats by "BJ", who is local to us. Sir Nathan has some fancier ones, the one I have is a basic Templar one (BJ was recommended by Sir Nathan).

I also have a heraldic one. It is fancy, embroidered lions, grommetted sides for lacing it snug. It was also by a local seamstress, who made Sir Brian's surcoat (and came recommended by him).
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent