Main > The Armoury

Want to start an armor kit

<< < (2/10) > >>

Sir Edward:
I went ahead and moved this to the Armoury section of the forum. The "market square" is really more for buying/selling amongst each other. The Armory is where we talk about armor in general. Not a big deal, I'm just keeping organized. :)

Do you know what general time period you're interested in? 13th century is relatively cheap and easy since it's based around mail, for example, whereas a 15th century high-gothic harness would be more expensive and difficult to do.

The good news is that historically, women tended to wear pretty much the same stuff that men did when it came to armor. The key is to get it sized appropriately to you, which is important anyway.

As an aside, this is a particularly valid point with breastplates. The "fantasy" breastplates that try to have a female shape are not very good from a combat perspective, since it creates a space in the middle that can catch weapons, and can be driven into your ribs/sternum. You actually do want a smooth curvature, without "cups".

Sir Edward:

Oh also, when you have an idea of what period you'd like, and style of foundation garments you want (and I realize we're just starting to talk about it, so you're not there yet), someone you might want to talk to is Jess Finley at Fuhlen Designs (that's her sewing business). She does historical combat, makes arming clothes, and is really good at both. And she's super friendly and enthusiastic too.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-06-05, 13:12:50 ---I went ahead and moved this to the Armoury section of the forum. The "market square" is really more for buying/selling amongst each other. The Armory is where we talk about armor in general. Not a big deal, I'm just keeping organized. :)

Do you know what general time period you're interested in? 13th century is relatively cheap and easy since it's based around mail, for example, whereas a 15th century high-gothic harness would be more expensive and difficult to do.

The good news is that historically, women tended to wear pretty much the same stuff that men did when it came to armor. The key is to get it sized appropriately to you, which is important anyway.

As an aside, this is a particularly valid point with breastplates. The "fantasy" breastplates that try to have a female shape are not very good from a combat perspective, since it creates a space in the middle that can catch weapons, and can be driven into your ribs/sternum. You actually do want a smooth curvature, without "cups".

--- End quote ---

That's true...as cool as they look and I think we'd all agree, it'd look really cool, it isn't necessarily safe or period.  So far as I know about periodicity for its own sake.

LadyRiona:
Firstly, thank you Ed, for moving the topic to it's proper place!

Secondly, thanks everyone for the info so far!

As far as the shape of the breastplate...I always thought it was silly for it to have the cups, it kind of made me think, "Hey, perfect targets."  So the smooth look of the breastplate it what I was looking for.

I've always loved the medieval style of everything, regular clothing, armor, etc.  So that is the historical era I'll be looking at.  Seeing as I want to be in the rough and tumble portion of it, I'm looking for a fight kit.

More importantly, I want a historical authentic kit, not a fantasy kit.  I'm a renaissance reenactor, so "historical" is bludgeoned into my brain.

But as Ian mentioned, arming clothes are super important.  I sew my own garb...do you guys know of any places that give instruction for making ones own arming clothes?  Or should I talk to Jess Finley?  (Thank you for the link, Ed.)

Also, as far as cost goes, I'm not looking for super expensive pieces, just basic, sturdy stuff.  If any armorers are willing to work with me, that'd be great.

Thanks again everyone!  This is all very exciting.

Ian:
I made my own arming garment appropriate from about 1350-1415 or so, with the 1415 being a stretch (maybe for a poor knight or as a hand-me-down to a man-at-arms).
http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,2516.0.html

That pattern is available on lulu.com and if you're already experienced with sewing, it shouldn't be very difficult for you.

I would highly recommend you try to narrow your focus to at the widest, a 25-30 year span of time so that we can more appropriately help you.  Give me a few minutes and I will try to post representative knightly harnesses from various eras.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version