Main > The Armoury

Want to start an armor kit

(1/10) > >>

LadyRiona:
So, I think this is the right place to post just an inquiry...if not, sorry!  I'm looking to start an armor kit at some point, hopefully in the near future.  Any suggestions on sites, people to inquire after, etc?

And if it makes any difference in breastplate shape, I am a female, so armor that works for either sex?

Thanks!

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: LadyRiona on 2013-06-05, 05:08:31 ---So, I think this is the right place to post just an inquiry...if not, sorry!  I'm looking to start an armor kit at some point, hopefully in the near future.  Any suggestions on sites, people to inquire after, etc?

And if it makes any difference in breastplate shape, I am a female, so armor that works for either sex?

Thanks!

--- End quote ---

Many factors to consider:

1.) Anyone on this forum is good to ask about armor, weapons, etc options. Wealth of experience & knowledge on many topics amongst many of us, each with our own speciality & interests. Ask away & you'll get the answers you seek here. We have a link section for all things related to knightly stuff.
2.) Armor to your interest depends on what you hope to use it for & time period you seek to emulate. Do you want armor to be more time-period authentic or fantasy?? Do you want a kit for fighting or just display at faires?? What do you want your kit to look like & made of?? Do you have any preferences for your persona look or based upon any person specific you idolize?? Lots of things to consider before you spend your money.
3.) Armor for females can be uni-sexed but depends on the type of armor kit you desire & sizing, etc. You have to know what you want first & it makes it easier.

Hope this helps some.

Sir James A:
Armor you say? Pull up a chair, then, 'tis my favorite subject! Let me help you spend your money. :D

As Lord Dane said, historical or fantasy?

Any particular region or time period? Basic style (mail, transitional, plate)?

Generally speaking, historical armor will fit a woman as well as a man, the only difference being in sizing for the arms and legs, but a breastplate/cuirass will, ahem, if there is not a large abundance of upper body tissue, also work for a woman as well as a man. Historically, women fought in a "mens" breastplate many times. From a modern perspective, the fantasy "form fitting" shape is very bad for combat, as it places a solid ridge over the sternum, exactly opposite of historical armor's protection, and makes for easy bone breaking - which is not a good thing.

So on that note, intent of the armor is vital too, both stylistically and material of construction - combat, or non-combat?

Ian:
Armor 101.

1. Decide what you'll use it for.  (this determines if you need to get historical armor, or overbuilt armor)
2. Resist the temptation to buy crappy armor before you really know what you want.
3. Always develop and purchase good arming CLOTHES before buying any armor at all. (this is really the most important step, without good arming clothes, your armor no matter how perfectly fitted to you, will not function or feel comfortable).
4. If historical accuracy is a concern, select as specific a time period and region as possible to develop your style.  (this is most easily done by browsing through books, or looking at historical effigies of actual knights depicted in their harnesses).

Lord Dane:
Most importantly, as Sir Ian stated:
Know what you want before you buy it!! Buying poorly made armor or arming gear is a waste of money & better spent on quality stuff. Most of us (if not all) look before we buy as we all have an interest in having a time-authentic (i.e. historical) look to our gear. In fact, most of us enjoy making our own stuff if we have the skills.
Comfort matters but so does price range. Find places that get you best quality for least price. We shop alot here. :) So look for bargains & barter!! Don't be pressured into getting something expensive just because it meets someone else's expectations. (We can give you options & love to help you spend your money. :) :) )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version