Main > The Armoury

Want to start an armor kit

<< < (3/10) > >>

Ian:
Quick armor evolution primer
Short maille cotte transitions in to long maille hauberk by the 12th century, maille dominates armor until about 1300.  Bits of plate (particularly elbows and knees) are worn over the full maille harness.  By the mid 14th century, Coats of Plate (small plates sewn or riveted to a fabric shell) protect the torso, legs are protected by steel, arms are protected by steel.  By the end of the 14th century we almost have complete coverage of armor.  15th Century armor is virtually full protection head to toe, including a cuirass (full breast and backplate).  16th century armor literally is full coverage, almost no gaps.  Then armor starts to shrink again as firearms become the dominant weapon on the battle field.

And of course in addition to armor changing, so are the arming garments beneath the harness.

These images are by no means the end-all be-all of what a harness was in that period, but it will give you an idea to help you narrow your focus to something manageable.  My personal taste is to make a harness as authentic as budgets allow.  I'm partial to the 14th century, and that's where most of my knowledge lies.

1066:

12th Century Crusader

13th Century Knight

Turn of the 14th Century

Mid 14th Century

Late 14th Century

Early 15th Century

Late 15th Century German Style

Late 15th Century Italian Style

16th Century

Ian:
On thing to help you keep perspective.  That first knight is separated in time from the last night by close to 500 years.  That's about how far you are separated from that last night in time as well.

Once you narrow down the general timeframe you're interested in, the next step is the research part.  One of the ideal resources to get started is this website:
http://effigiesandbrasses.com/monuments/

Enter in a search string of years you're interested in, select 'martial' under costume and begin to look at all the dead knights of that era and see what they were wearing.  This is basically how we justify selections for our kits.  If it's not documented in that period on an effigy or in artwork, it's probably not a good idea to use in Living History.  You should also narrow down a region (which can be done on that same website), because it will change the look of your kit.  A German Knight of 1365 looks very different from his English counterpart.

B. Patricius:
I can't emphasize enough what Sir Ian has already stated:

1) undergarments are crucial!!  I can't believe how well I move and how comfortable I am now that I have proper braies (underpants like overgrown boxer shorts), hose, and a muslin shirt underneath my crusader kit. 
1A) padded undergarments - depending on how you're built, you may want to have it custom made for you, I'm one of the ones that doesn't fit the "sizes."  Basically I have a broad chest and large arms, but I'm only about 5'7" or so.  All of the arms are way too long on a chest that fits me, which makes the elbows intolerable.  Also if you're going full plate, the undergarments become more of something to strap the armour too, rather than being armour itself.

2) the periods can drastically increase the costs of getting there.  Earlier kits can look amazing, and be had for very little money, if you're crafty and willing to put in the time to make them.  It can cost more for a mail hauberk than for full black & white harness made right, or it can cost you about $150 with tools, if you're willing to put in the work.

Effigiesandbrasses.com and manuscriptminiatures.com definitely are great resources.  Also if I may be allowed to "toot my own horn" so to speak, I have this http://pinterest.com/tanukidomo/13th-17th-cent-europewma/ pinterest board.  Most are links to other resources, and a lot are extant archaeological examples of the real thing.  Take a look around and let us know what period, and pretty much down to a couple of decades, we can help get you there!

YIS
B. Patricius

Sir James A:
Somebody you might have seen at VARF 2 weekends ago is Jeff Wasson's wife (whose name I don't know)

Ian:
Stacy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version