Main > The Armoury

12th/13th century riveted mail hauberk and chausses - Knight's Templar kit

<< < (2/6) > >>

Lord Dane:
Sounds like a busy endeavour. Can't wait to see the final product.  :)

B. Patricius:
Thanks for the warm words of encouragement Lord Dane :D I certainly hope it will be going a bit faster than I first thought given what I learned yesterday about my coiling speed.  Believe it or not, that was the part that concerned me the most.  It just seems to take forever!

And what am I doing today?
Day 3:
still coiling some wire, making some rings  8)

B. Patricius:
I'm posting this over at MyArmoury as well, but what I'm wondering is if anyone knows when hauberks and such became all riveted versus riveted with punched rings?  My kit is going to have to be all riveted because of the lack of attaining a good punched ring for a price I can succumb to.  I'm just wondering how inaccurate it will be being full riveted?

Also, http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trevor.barker/farisles/guilds/armour/mail.htm#sect3-1 "A Mailmaker's Guide" is very cool at showing period mail pieces and how certain ones were made.  I've gotten quite good at reading mail patterns for expansions and such, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good source/extant example that someone has had the pleasure to look over and give a pattern to like his from the Wallace Collection, or if that's the best for what I'm doing?

thanks

YIS
B. Patricius

Sir Edward:

My understanding is that punched rings came later in the period. I think if you're going for 14th C. and earlier, all riveted is just fine.

Sir Wolf:
you know, ice falcon just got a shipment in of alt row riveted hauberks instock lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version