Main > The Armoury

Charles de Blois Pourpoint

(1/3) > >>

Ian:
I've just about finished up the Charles de Blois pourpoint.  I completed the arming points today for the legs.  Here's a photo timeline of the process:

The pattern book:

The pattern assembled:

The pattern cut out:

Muslin prototype:

Linen quilted sleeves:

Test fit:

Arming point inside (4 eyelets, backed with a piece of leather):

Leg suspended from the eyelets, pointed to the inside of the garment.

Demonstration of the grand assiette sleeve in operation:

The outside is constructed from heavy linen, there are two layers of cotton batting to provide some padding, and then it is quilted to the inner lining of a medium weight linen.  Everything is machine sewn with regard to the construction of the garment.  The lacing eyelets and arming point eyelets are hand-sewn using embroidery floss.  The fit is nice and snug through the abdomen and hips and provides the necessary girdling to support the leg harness from the anatomy of the mid torso instead of the shoulders.  The grand assiette sleeve is functioning properly and does not lift the leg harness when I lift my arms.  I can now ditch the separate vest pourpoint, and shed an unnecessary layer of clothing that we really have no evidence for historically.  For the time being, this is as close as I can get to a historical arming garment short of hand sewing one. 

All in all, not bad for my first sewing project!  Thanks go to the lady Tasha Dandelion Kelly for her awesome pattern that even I could understand coming at this project from the standpoint of a complete novice.  She also actively helped whenever I asked and was great to work with!  I still have a few tweaks to make, but other than that I'm pretty happy with it.

Sir Wolf:
hey nice!!!!!!!

Sir William:
I am most impressed, Sir. 

Lord Dane:
Nice job Ian. :)

Sir Edward:

Awesome!!! That's looking great! Nice and comfy?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version