Main > The Armoury

Charles de Blois Pourpoint

<< < (3/3)

B. Patricius:
Thanks for the info Ian!  Also my lady wants a pourpoint for her kit, so it's always nice to see the evolution of padded garments from my preferred era.  I'm probably just going nutso then when it comes to mine.  I just see the channels in all the store-made ones, and in the effigies so I was worried mine wasn't up to snuff.  My kit, as a whole will only have three layers of batting total, and that's in my core.  My aketon underneath my mail will only be a single layer of padding to ease up movement.

Thanks again Sir Ian

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-05-24, 23:01:48 ---
--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-05-24, 22:57:00 ---Nothing really "wrong", except I prefer the pourpoint instead of just the gambeson. It seems to move more fluidly being separate pieces. It's odd, as I do my arming coat the same way, but it's unpadded and has a much shorter hemline - and I don't have any trouble with it like that (pointed inside).

There's two big differences: yours is sized to you, and mine's off the shelf; and yours is properly spiral laced, and mine is just cloth buttons. I'm quite interested to see how yours goes. :)

If yours works well, I might ditch the buttons and spiral lace mine, and see if that helps.

--- End quote ---

Is it still transferring weight to your shoulders?  If that's the case it's 100% in the fitting of the gambeson in your waist/hips.  The spiral lacing and very tight tailoring is why I'm able to comfortably support the legs in this fashion.  If I tried to do it with my button up off-the-peg revival gambeson it would be very restrictive with legs hanging from it.   If it doesn't tightly girdle the waist and hips it will not support weight until it reaches the shoulders.  If I get fatter, it will not lace closed, it fits that closely.  It will still work as intended, but there would be a gap, but that's better than the alternative of it ever being too big.

--- End quote ---

I've only worn it around the house/yard as a prototype test, so I'm not sure if it's putting all the weight on my shoulders or not. It's nothing I felt from the 15 or 20 minutes of testing. It's opposite of logical, but the gambeson can twist around at the waist, and that makes the legs more mobile, which I find less comfortable in it's floppiness. The pourpoint sits firm at the waist and doesn't move, just like yours, and makes the leg harness stay in place nicely. I have the button-up off-the-peg revival gambeson, and I'm glad to hear you say you think you'd get similar (not satisfying) results.

I agree with you on the spiral lacing. I made comments of the same in the AA thread. My arming coat is spiral laced, and has that bit of gap in the middle. I've lost weight, and now it meets completely, with just a tiny bit of slack at the bottom. I worked on the gambeson to get other people in armor for the photo shoot, but I've been trying it myself as I'll probably wear it for our VARF demos; the arming coat has no padding at all, and the padding from the gambeson should be good for taking hits and being thrown. So far I'm just cheating and using a pourpoint with it. ;)

Hrolfr:
Tasha did a great job on this pattern.

Sir Ian, you did a fine job on the pourpoint  :)

Thinking this is going to be a 'next winter' project for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version