Main > The Courtyard

Not really our period, but well done by two masters nonetheless

<< < (3/4) > >>

Corvus:
I have been given to understand that the various Jedi sword forms are based on classical swordsmanship as well.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Corvus on 2013-05-24, 16:43:02 ---I have been given to understand that the various Jedi sword forms are based on classical swordsmanship as well.

--- End quote ---

In the movies specifically Bob Anderson, classical swordsman, did all the sword choreography.  He just recently died.  He also did the sword work for Lord of the Rings, Princess Bride, Zorro, Highlander, a lot of the old Erroll Flynn movies etc.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---I know the Destreza master is Puck Curtis, who is working on translating Destreza (Spanish Rapier) classic works.  The beautiful part about Destreza, is that's it's an art based in math and science and very easy to work with once the language barrier is crossed.

Destreza was my first foray into swordsmanship and the path of chivalry.  I used to watch the Disney Guy Williams Zorro as a kid practically religiously.  A neighbor up the street had tears of joy when I showed up at his house for holloween dressed as my favorite folk hero.  That next friday, when his daughter was babysitting me, he asked me if I wished to learn the true arts of Zorro and Spanish swordsmanship.

Over 20 years later, I'm still an avid student of Destreza.  And I'm most excited as yesterday, for the first time in 20 years, I held a two-post sidesword, very similar to those shown in Destreza texts by Carranza.  Pure surreal joy doesn't describe the feelings I have as I admire the strain in my forearms and forefinger, and the nicks and scrapes in my forearms from my oppenent's quillions.

--- End quote ---

Indeed, Destreza is a wonderful sword art to train in.  I myself have studied a bit of Destreza via Thibault of the 17th Century, it works both mind and body together.  The movements or techniques work like magic with the footwork.  There are no best words to describe how this rapier art nearly trumps my love of Medieval Martial Arts (German, Italian and English). 

--- Quote ---Didn't the show Highlander do a lovely little bit on Destreza once?
--- End quote ---

Yep, "Duende", Season 5.  It is a well written episode and the fight choreography (courtesy of Anthony DeLongis) is awesome.  Upon my studies in Destreza, the accuracy of the fight scenes pretty lame.  Although the idea is pretty much the same, fighting the opponent in an imaginary circle not a literal one.  Angular defense and offense is emphasized as as well as liner defense and offense (in fact Destreza using both linear and angular lines of attacks which is incredible).  I would like to see Puck Curtis demonstrate Destreza with the longsword and catching it on film and attempting the techniques on all of you.  ;)

I find it difficult to not think about Spanish Guitar Music without adding this line in relevance to Destreza and Spanish Swordsmanship.  "Fear Me, if you dare!"

Thorsteinn:

Sir James A:
You know, I've seen and remember the Duende episode. Had no idea it was related to an actual historical "school".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version