Main > The Courtyard

Not really our period, but well done by two masters nonetheless

(1/4) > >>

B. Patricius:
Greetings all,

I know this isn't necessarily our period of swordsmanship, but it is so beautiful to see two excellent masters working their crafts.  I just felt I had to share it with you all:

I know the Destreza master is Puck Curtis, who is working on translating Destreza (Spanish Rapier) classic works.  The beautiful part about Destreza, is that's it's an art based in math and science and very easy to work with once the language barrier is crossed.

Destreza was my first foray into swordsmanship and the path of chivalry.  I used to watch the Disney Guy Williams Zorro as a kid practically religiously.  A neighbor up the street had tears of joy when I showed up at his house for holloween dressed as my favorite folk hero.  That next friday, when his daughter was babysitting me, he asked me if I wished to learn the true arts of Zorro and Spanish swordsmanship. 

Over 20 years later, I'm still an avid student of Destreza.  And I'm most excited as yesterday, for the first time in 20 years, I held a two-post sidesword, very similar to those shown in Destreza texts by Carranza.  Pure surreal joy doesn't describe the feelings I have as I admire the strain in my forearms and forefinger, and the nicks and scrapes in my forearms from my oppenent's quillions. 

Sir Ian (Bob Williams) who some of you may know is now my main instructor in WMA, and he himself was impressed with what I had once the ringrust was thrusted away.  He's also looking forward to me teaching him the one rapier style he has yet to work with.  It's truly an honor.

Sir Edward:

In the video, it looks like they're taking a really relaxed pace too. Puck is really, really good. I've watched him fence before. I think that's Paul Wagner he's practicing with. Paul doesn't move as elegantly, but he's very skilled too.

They usually attend as instructors at WMAW, which is where I've met them.

B. Patricius:
Yeah,

in the video it appeared more as two friends, that are very good, just checking each other out and gauging what each of them had learned since the last time they got together.  About 2/3 of the way through they start going at it a bit more.  That's awesome that you were able to attend WMAW and work with these guys.  I've just been following Puck via his destreza blog and such for years now.

Corvus:
Brother Patricius;  I noted that you mentioned 'not really our period,...' in  your post and that got me wondering. I had not thought that the Order of the Marshal was locked in to any one particular period of time like the SCA for instance is. Unless of course you are referring in general to the time period thought by most to be the Age of Chivalry.

Otherwise modern day incarnations of Chivalry and Knighthood would be somewhat out of that time period as well  :) ;)

Sir Edward:
Kit-wise, we have in the bylaws a target time-range of 1066 - 1600, which is pretty wide, and does allow for rapiers and the like. :)

For the most part, people stick to 13th through 15th centuries, since that's sort of the height of the "age of chivalry" and has the most identifiable armor, swords, and so on. The forum in general gives the most emphasis on those centuries as well, usually.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version