Main > The Armoury

Appropriate Helm for cerca 1100-1187 Templar

<< < (2/6) > >>

B. Patricius:
That leather piece under the coif is a good idea Sir Ulrich.  Unfortunately, the SCA and Adrian Empire require the back of the helm to be plate, and I believe for good reasons.  So it all depends on what Silvanus is looking at the helm to be used for. 

I, unfortunately am going to have two helms, at the least.  One for live steel and SCA combat, and one that's completely period for DOK type re-creation.

Also, if you've ever suffered bad whiplash, you'll know why the back of the head is important to cover... let alone if you've ever had the disfortune to see bad back of head trauma as I have.  I'll always do a little bit extra myself. 

Silvanus:
Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen. Looks like I'll need to do more research if I want something in my period. The bottom line is I need some real head protection for sparring. Otherwise I am happy with my current helm for walking around. Attaching the mail at the back of a more period helm will look nice, but it will not protect my poor head and neck from the likes of Sir Brian.
 I do like this one, Patricius.

So its either that one or something like Sir Wolfs but with maille for either one.

My neck hurts.

B. Patricius:
Silvanus,

all of the helms I showed you are period, with modifications to protect the back of the head.  Then you just cover the back of it like that Hospitaller had with his leather scales or mail, as you've said  :) just throwing out ideas as I'm still trying to decide mine as well.

here's some images of those helms showing the backs a bit better:
Steel Mastery:

IceFalcon
- that helm is designed and built for BOTN!! plenty tough and protective

West Coast Armoury

I'm either going with the simple flat top-helm with simple front face and hidden back protection, much like the Hospitaller
or
A Phrygian Italo-Norman with flutes, simple front face plate, and hidden back protection myself.  And I'm doing Third Crusade, 1190 era.  Also of note there's a topic over at MyArmoury and ArmourArchive about an extant, archeaological find of a faceplate tophelm... although there's still debate on if it is in fact a real one.  When I find that topic again, I'll post it here.  Hopefully Sir Ian sees this, I think I saw him mention that helm either here or elsewhere.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: B. Patricius on 2013-05-08, 01:10:40 ---I, unfortunately am going to have two helms, at the least

--- End quote ---

I believe you meant "fortunately" and not "unfortunately" ;)

B. Patricius:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-05-08, 14:16:19 ---
--- Quote from: B. Patricius on 2013-05-08, 01:10:40 ---I, unfortunately am going to have two helms, at the least

--- End quote ---

I believe you meant "fortunately" and not "unfortunately" ;)

--- End quote ---

I guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder! Touche Sir James! Touche

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version