Main > The Armoury

Appropriate Helm for cerca 1100-1187 Templar

<< < (3/6) > >>

Silvanus:
Well, here is one that I have found that I think will fit the historical bill.

At this site: http://www.outfit4events.com/usd/product/466-early-crusader-great-helm/?decorative=nocategory%2F557-medieval-costumes-ladies%2Fcategory%2F173-cloak-pins%2Fcategory%2F8-axes%2F

I really can't find anything online produced in the States with this quality for this tight period. This is from the Czech Republic.

Sir Wolf:
that is nice.

B. Patricius:
That is a nice period helm!  I only have two concerns about it:
1) is that enough back of head protection?
2) the cross as a nasal, from everything I have found within secondary sources on the Knights Templar (effigies, paintings, murals, frescos) would be considered superfluous and against the Rule.

Beyond those two concerns, it's a nice helm!
Also, TherionArms, which as far as I know is a dealer of sorts, not a manufacturer (his stuff looks like GDFB) is in the US with US customer service.  Here's some of his helms for consideration:

http://www.therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c1275.html looks more 13th century though

http://www.therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c1106.html realistically this will be my choice as it fits function and doesn't have anything that could be construed as "superfluous"

http://www.therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c1404.html this one too is cool, although it's not quite a Norman, and not quite a Phrygian, and to be honest, it just seems to be a "generic compromise" although a nice helm still.

just other ideas I thought to throw out there.  Also if you portray a turcopole (temporary member of the Knights Templar, who could have been married even, although their wives would be in a convent for the period) you'd have more leeway on the helm, as it is and was one of the more expensive pieces of equipment.

YIS
B. Patricius

Silvanus:
Patricius, thanks for all your help and input. You are a great resource. I did see those helms from Therion, from whom I've ordered before happily. But I was under the impression that this helm -

was not quite my period due to the fact that it has plate protection in the back.... And I like the third image also, but was concerned that the eye slots were too large for safety purposes. Well, if you think that the Therion is adequate, I can opt for that one. My specific kit is that of a Templar sergeant. And while I have great respect for the Turcopoles for their aid and skill, the only other persona I could ever adopt would be that of a full Templar Kinght, perhaps one day.

Thanks again. All your help and suggestions are always welcome.

Silvanus

B. Patricius:

--- Quote from: Silvanus on 2013-05-10, 03:49:05 ---was not quite my period due to the fact that it has plate protection in the back.... And I like the third image also, but was concerned that the eye slots were too large for safety purposes. Well, if you think that the Therion is adequate, I can opt for that one. My specific kit is that of a Templar sergeant. And while I have great respect for the Turcopoles for their aid and skill, the only other persona I could ever adopt would be that of a full Templar Kinght, perhaps one day.

Thanks again. All your help and suggestions are always welcome.

Silvanus

--- End quote ---

Silvanus, I totally understand where you're coming from.  I, in fact, need to have two personas because I wish to be a full Templar and get it "right" for demonstrations... but I also need a secular 13th century knight for my lady that I can give her all the chivlarous pomp and circumstance she deserves!  ;D ;)

It's interesting, the helmet that you posted from therion that you said you already own
is in fact the one that I wish to use for my Templar portrayal when protection is not needed (like wandering around like a BAMF at RenFaires and DOK ;) ) I love that helm as it is so simple.

On that note, I believe that helm is as close to period as we can get for late 12th century with a face-plate other than the phrygians which had faceplates starting earlier than the standard "Latin" fair of the Franks.  From what I've learned, they picked up the earliest form of Phrygian from the Saracens, and then saw their usefulness and used them.  The development of that helm in the Mediterranean is well documented and it seems to pick up from there.

I believe the helm that you own, and that I want, is the safest of the "Latin" styles for our portrayals.  It has no "extras" at all, which is paramount for a full Templar be they SGT or Knight.  As a general rule, I play it safest first, and the compromises in my kit I make (for example right now I'm wearing butted mail) I explain the why of that, and what was appropriate.

The helm you posted, as nice as it is, I don't think it'd offer any more back of head protection than the one you already own from Albion.  Beyond that, I observed something that may in fact lead to more inspiration:

I believe the first helm you posted from Cult of Athena:
is in fact the same helm as the one that you and I both enjoy that Hospitaller wearing!

note the nasal and the form of the jawline, they're as close as one can get to identical!  I believe he just added the leather scales to it, and the leather trim above. 
Also another helm I forgot to post on here that I enjoy that has precedence to ca. 1200 by GDFB on Therion's site:

I also did find out that in fact Cult of Athena and TherionArms both carry GDFB.

My only concern with one that has full plate on the lower rather than bars is the weight.  Bars, hidden with a mail or leather aventail can look quite amazing.  There's a local KSCA that wears this Norman helmet from windrosearmory

which I then found they also have an Italo-Norman/Phrygian as well

I have personally held, worn and fought in Sir Christopher's Aventailed Norman.  It's beyond amazing.  Also, looking at his avatar here, Thorsteinn appears to wear a similar helmet in SCA combat.

I also agree the eye slots are most crucial.  The ability to see, while protecting our eyes is crucial, especially in any kind of visored/faced helm.  Adrian Empire for example, has a 3/4" in ANY direction maximum distance for their eyeslots for rebated steel combat.  A rule I firmly believe is worth it.  That's also why I've just accepted I will have two helms:
1 for living history
1 for combat
that may be exactly the route you may want to take as well.  Especially since if I read your reply correctly you already own probably my favorite "period" tophelm for a Templar kit.

And it is a pleasure to share what I know.  I've learned all I have from the humble chair and laptop with the help of google and triple checking sources through museum archives.  I admit, my classes in Archaeology help, but it by no means makes me an expert.  Any and all mistakes are my own.   Also, if you'd like to check out my pinterest board: http://pinterest.com/tanukidomo/13th-17th-cent-europewma/ it's fairly widespread in eras and cultures, but it is a bit Holy Orders centric ;)

Also, just last year Sir Ulrich picked up this helm from Sir William

here's his thread: http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php?topic=2009.0
maybe they (Sir Ulrich and Sir William) will be able to help us out as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version