Main > The Armoury

Scale Armor

<< < (6/9) > >>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2013-02-03, 22:15:29 ---it really wouldnt have been "leather" like we think of it. it would have been more of a hardened rawhide. and the weight will resemble the COP due to all of the overlapping and rivets.

--- End quote ---

Yep, what Sir Wolf said. Hardened leather is boiled and sometimes mixed with .. beeswax I think? .. been many years since I looked into it, but it's saturated with something else and it adds to the weight.

Sir Wolf:
beeswax is only for the waterproofing.

SirNathanQ:
To get the same protection value, steel is honestly your lightest and most efficient option. That's why it was used. And asofar as quibbling with the dates of the Visby find (1361), that style of COP was viable for use until around the early 14th century, considering the "armour lag" that styles took getting all the way to the Baltic.
If you are going to start throwing additional protection in top of your maille when your persona is in "The Age of Maille", I'm assuming you're doing it for protective value in combat. Cause let's face it, maille kinda sucks at absorbing all the blunt trauma we face (being literally the only threat we face, unless something has gone horribly, horribly wrong) and I will use every piece of rigid armour I can justify. From a practical (not getting hurt) standpoint, the Visby style is awesome. I've worn it in combat, and it has awesome movement, and it protects very well.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2013-02-04, 01:43:50 ---beeswax is only for the waterproofing.

--- End quote ---

Ah, so it's the boiling that gives it the rigidity, thanks!

Sir Wolf:
yupyup. I've made some scale suits in the past. the water boiling is what makes the leather hard. it boils out all of the air from the pockets in the leather making it dense. lol don't leave your bees-waxed suit in the car during summer, ewh I've heard the horror stories on how it melted out of the suits.

Ulrick you are looking at 12-15 oz leather thats about to over 1/4 inch thick. all that over lapping is just gonna weigh you down. a COP is going to be more period and lighter. 18 gauge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version