"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
                -- Mary Pickford

Author Topic: New hauberk arrived  (Read 13828 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: New hauberk arrived
« Reply #15 on: 2013-01-13, 16:03:21 »
I am going to Home Depot today to pick some simple green up to clean off this hauberk. One thing I DID notice is the sleeves taper ever so slightly and it goes down PAST my knees and it's also a larger size. How long should I soak it?

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2013-01-13, 16:31:33 »
About an hour, then check if it's clean, if it's not, give it another 15 min and check it again. If it's not coming clean well, try to rub / shake it a bit in the simple green & water or wipe it off with a cloth while still soaking. Once it's clean, make sure it's really dried well. The oven thing is a good idea. Tons of tiny crevices in every rivet for moisture to hide and start to rust from. Once dry, oil it with whatever you can use that won't give you allergic reactions; RemOil is at Walmart and has been working well for me.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2013-01-13, 23:02:43 »
I had to clean it by hand because it wasnt working as well as I had expected. My hands are dry and raw from the abrasion and I noticed some rivets came out but they werent even set properly (IE smooshed) now to find a source for wedge rivets and a riveting tool. Thankfully I got it all clean and I threw it in the oven for an hour on 200 degrees, hopefully that will dry it. I'm hesitant to put oil on it because I dont like greasy maille. Any other viable options for rust protection? I was thinking floor polish but that would take a bit of work. Oil is just annoying and messy.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2013-01-14, 01:27:12 »

Got it clean and dried, this is how it fits me, I like it a LOT better than my old one. Only issue is the sleeves being too baggy which I gotta remedy via tailoring. Around the chest it's a bit loose but it fits better than my old one by far and didnt tear ANY threads on my gambeson AT ALL, as I expected. I much prefer this maille to my older stuff. Did notice a few rivets came out while washing it, I just gotta get wedge riveted rings and a tool now, thats going to be hard...

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2013-01-14, 04:54:08 »
 :)
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #20 on: 2013-01-14, 07:09:24 »
Too bad washing maille doesn't shrink it slightly to fit properly too. LOL  ;D
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2013-01-14, 23:08:12 »
IceFalcon or KOA should have wedge riveting tongs. You can also check with Lone Wolf Chainmail; I recently got a set of pliers from him ($25?) and it comes with 200 rings and [bond voice] rivets, wedge rivets [/bond]. They're pretty good, padded grips, very modern looking pliers of course, but functionally work great and not as uncomfortable as the other IceFalcon ones I have. Got them to do some brass trim rings, which are apparently only available as wedge rivets... but I digress... let me know if you can't find his contact info, I contacted him through the ArmourArchive

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2013-01-14, 23:42:09 »
Yeah it was a pain to wash, I spent at least 4 hours doing it by hand. Actually am still sore from it. Should I cut a horseman's slit in the front and back? Also debating on oiling it, but it hasnt rusted yet cept a small patch which I am not even sure if it was there beforehand, it's so thin that I can scrape it with my fingernail and it's gone.
Yeah I would like his contact info, I kinda need it because I dont want to modify it until I got wedge riveted rings. Icefalcon doesnt offer the kind I want.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2013-01-15, 14:45:53 »
His screen name is "LWCM" on ArmourArchive, shoot him a PM

Fresh rust will be thin like that

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2013-01-15, 20:29:08 »
Ulrich, it looks good on you, man.  I'd cut the slit in front and back (did it for mine, makes walking and sitting easier too, less like a skirt) whether or not you plan on riding in it.

Here's the thing about mild steel- it requires upkeep.  Remember that thing I was telling you about surface rust?  Well there's a whole helluva lot more surface area on a hauberk than there is on a breastplate or cuirass- so keeping your maille oiled is actually the best practice to pursue.  If you find it to be too much of a hassle, then you'll eventually want to upgrade to a stainless hauberk as those are pretty rust resistant, or so I'm told.  I've not had any rust issues with mine, which I'm told is galvanized steel.  YMMV.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2013-01-16, 03:16:40 »
Stainless is very rust resistant. Haven't had a single spot on my fauld, and I haven't cleaned or oiled it once since I got it, yet, worn it at least 10 times or so, half of those covered in sweat.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2013-01-16, 16:32:24 »
I've had my galvy hauberk for at least 3 years now and have worn it over a dozen times, sweat always occurs- not a single spot of rust.  Now, when I'd sold it, the guy who bought it decided to 'test' it and cut off a small segment and steeped it in moisture and what have you and it rusted according to him.  Has not been my experience so as I'd said before, your mileage may vary.

The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 2013-01-16, 21:28:21 »
the guy who bought it decided to 'test' it and cut off a small segment and steeped it in moisture and what have you and it rusted according to him

Perhaps tell him about the difference between use and abuse? Even stainless steel will rust if you leave it covered in moisture for long enough. That's where "stainless" comes from ... it simply "stains" (rusts) "less".

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #28 on: 2013-01-18, 05:49:05 »
I need alternatives to oiling it. Oil is a pain and leaves a mess making wearing my maille impractical because my parents will bitch me out about it being messy. Cant I just seal it with an oil that wont drip or run?

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 2013-01-18, 10:13:49 »
Mix melted beeswax with olive oil (50/50). Then get a canvas sack you can afford to use for only one thing.

Just coat the mail in the mix, put in the bag, and toss to coat. Maintain it with regular recoating & re tossing. This is one of the methods used in period.

Or....

Get a bag put the sand in it, and toss to scrub... this will be needed often in a wet climate.

Or... use the canvas bag, and get a can of spray gun oil. Toss to coat.
« Last Edit: 2013-01-18, 19:26:23 by Hersir Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.