"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: New hauberk arrived  (Read 13873 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: New hauberk arrived
« Reply #30 on: 2013-01-18, 17:22:29 »
What Thorsteinn said...but basically, there is no oil that won't drip or run to some extent.  The beeswax infused olive oil may run less...but it'll still run, and soak thru the canvas bag (hence the caveat that you use it only for storing your oiled hauberk).  Or go stainless...which as Sir James pointed out only rusts less, not that it is proof against rust.

Another, and cheaper alternative is to go with aluminum...much lighter, and low to no maintenance (doesn't require oiling or polishing); I have a butted aluminum hauberk that has the same darkened look of steel, but less than a third of the weight.  Its a Crusader hauberk too, with an integral coif, horseman's slits in front and back- and unique in that the arms end in mittens, also maille, with leather palms.  Also came with maille chausses with leather soles...I was pretty surprised by it all.

Mind you, it wouldn't fit you (the arms and chausses would be too long on you) but I was just giving you an example.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 2013-01-18, 18:06:51 »
Some good suggestions were made on FB
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #32 on: 2013-01-18, 23:54:56 »
nope will not work. you can oil it every time you put it away or just make sure it's in a dry place. mail in itself is self cleaning. it rubs itself. the friction of the rings will scratch the metal and take off rust but also take off any oil or beeswax in areas.

i have owned the same riveted mail shirt for 12 years or so. no issues after i cleaned it when it turned orange from sweet and rain. it sits on my bedroom floor.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #33 on: 2013-02-05, 07:06:58 »
His screen name is "LWCM" on ArmourArchive, shoot him a PM

Fresh rust will be thin like that
I ended up ordering some and got the rings and tool. The tool is nice but the rings are a bit too smaller diameter to match my hauberk as well as being black. But he did say they can work with GDFB rings and rivets, so I ordered some from Hanwei's site, they had them in stock and the shipping was free.