Main > The Armoury

Rosaries / Paternosters

<< < (3/5) > >>

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2012-09-27, 21:47:30 ---I wasn't bringing it up to be the historical accuracy police, I was just bringing it up so if authenticity was a concern, the requisite knowledge was available.

--- End quote ---

No worries, your message was received in the correct context. :)

You'll be surprised how tolerant of "cheating" I can be though. :)

Sir William:
So, how do you use them?  I was raised Lutheran, zero experience with a rosary.

Sir Edward:
A prayer is said over each bead, basically. It gives you a method to count with as you go.

Ian:
and Pater Noster literally translates from Latin to mean Our Father, one of the most recognizable prayers in Catholicism.  Which during medieval times, was probably the only prayer said during the use of the beads.  The modern rosary incorporates a lot more prayers than just the Our Father.

Our Father, Who art in heaven
Hallowed be Thy Name;
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2012-09-28, 18:00:03 ---So, how do you use them?  I was raised Lutheran, zero experience with a rosary.

--- End quote ---

Traditonally, rosaries are a bead-counting method of saying prayers. One bead equals one prayer until you complete a cycle. For me, one bead is "Our Father" than next is "Hail Mary"...& continues until my beads are exhausted & ends with a blessed benediction of the Holy Trinity (which is a personal prayer that comes last in a cycle) & a kiss of the crucifix is symbolic of your undying devotion to Our Lord and wish for his blessings. Such is a Roman Catholic prayer session with a rosary. It varies with each person however.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version