Main > The Armoury

Rosaries / Paternosters

<< < (2/5) > >>

Sir Edward:

Yeah, if I end up fudging the design a little depending on the decade/century, oh well. :)

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2012-09-27, 02:40:30 ---Ian is correct. For instance, my Rosary is probably non-period, if one is being super strict about things.
I actually use that Rosary though, so I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon.  :)

--- End quote ---

I think the practical authenticity factor of you actually using your Rosary more than compensates for any historical inaccuracies! ;)

Ian:
A historically accurate pater noster doesn't 'not work'  ;D. You can use it just like a modern rosary.  I wasn't bringing it up to be the historical accuracy police, I was just bringing it up so if authenticity was a concern, the requisite knowledge was available.

Sir Brian:
It's all good Sir Ian, just a little jocularity with no slight intended!  ;)

Lord Dane:
Correct. What matters with a 'rosary' is that it is used for intended purpose (i.e. prayer) and not having concern for it being decorative and/or historically appealing to some time period. If you are looking to dye beads for significance, black beads were for prayers to Jesus Christ & white ones intended for the Virgin Mary. That was intentional of early friars (Franciscan order monks) and numbered in a specific sequence so they said a certain numbers of prayers to both.

Sequence was unknown because they did not mention how it was sequenced but each rosary had 40 beads total to number the 40-day cycle of 'Lent' (the holiest time in Catholicism). Thought it was interesting reading so thought I'd share. The practice is actually continued to this day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version