Main > The Armoury

Teutonic Knight, 1360

<< < (3/6) > >>

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2012-09-28, 18:12:50 ---
--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2012-09-27, 02:27:53 ---Sir William, you are too kind with your praise. There are still many things that need attended to pertaining to this kit, but it's my first living history grade kit. I'm quite proud of it as well, if I may be allowed to indulge my pride. 

--- End quote ---

Absolutely!  There is nothing wrong with taking pride in your appearance...it reflects well on The Order as well as the Teutonic Order you're portraying.  As for the fit of that brass trimmed armor that Sir James is hoarding...yes, I think it would.  ;)

--- End quote ---

Call it personal preference but you will never catch me wearing 'sabotons' with my kit. They are so clunky & uncomfortable. I can't imagine walking in them let alone fighting in them.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Lord_Dane on 2012-09-28, 20:35:05 ---
--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2012-09-27, 02:27:53 ---Sir William, you are too kind with your praise. There are still many things that need attended to pertaining to this kit, but it's my first living history grade kit. I'm quite proud of it as well, if I may be allowed to indulge my pride. 

--- End quote ---

Absolutely!  There is nothing wrong with taking pride in your appearance...it reflects well on The Order as well as the Teutonic Order you're portraying.  As for the fit of that brass trimmed armor that Sir James is hoarding...yes, I think it would.  ;)

--- End quote ---

Call it personal preference but you will never catch me wearing 'sabotons' with my kit. They are so clunky & uncomfortable. I can't imagine walking in them let alone fighting in them.

--- End quote ---

That's easily solved by having properly fitted and constructed sabatons! :)  My sabs are probably the piece of armor I notice the least while walking around.

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2012-09-28, 20:36:10 ---
--- Quote from: Lord_Dane on 2012-09-28, 20:35:05 ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

That's easily solved by having properly fitted and constructed sabatons! :)  My sabs are probably the piece of armor I notice the least while walking around.

--- End quote ---

Unnoticed equals un-necessary to me, Ian. Not worried about someone stabbing my foot in a fight. I worry more about movement & stablilty. My boots are either leather or a period-flaxen material and well-suited for durability without need for them. They don't look good on me anyways with my kit. I don't want my kit to reflect a 'renaissance-era' suit.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Lord_Dane on 2012-09-28, 20:51:11 ---Unnoticed equals un-necessary to me, Ian. Not worried about someone stabbing my foot in a fight. I worry more about movement & stablilty. My boots are either leather or a period-flaxen material are well-suited for durability without need for them. They don't look good on me anyways with my kit. I don't want my kit to reflect a 'renaissance-era' suit.

--- End quote ---

That's exactly my point.  If they're made properly, they in no way affect movement or stability.  It's pure value added, and no negative impact.  Unnoticeable is not unnecessary, it means no fatigue, plus protection, that's awesome whenever you're talking armor.  They're hardly a required item for a kit, but they are by no means clunky or bad for mobility or stability if you have a good pair made to your shoes and your feet.  The only reason to not have sabatons is purely aesthetic or stylistic, which is a 100% valid reason in its own right.

I also don't understand what sabs have to do with making you appear renaissance.  Plate sabs make their first appearance on English effigies by 1330 and become common place by the 1350's.  That firmly puts plate sabatons in the heart of the late medieval period.

For Sir Nathan's kit, he can go either way.  German effigies of his chosen decade are about 50/50 plate sabs vs just shoes.

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2012-09-28, 21:01:04 ---
--- Quote from: Lord_Dane on 2012-09-28, 20:51:11 ---Unnoticed equals un-necessary to me, Ian. Not worried about someone stabbing my foot in a fight. I worry more about movement & stablilty. My boots are either leather or a period-flaxen material are well-suited for durability without need for them. They don't look good on me anyways with my kit. I don't want my kit to reflect a 'renaissance-era' suit.

--- End quote ---

That's exactly my point.  If they're made properly, they in no way affect movement or stability.  It's pure value added, and no negative impact.  Unnoticeable is not unnecessary, it means no fatigue, plus protection, that's awesome whenever you're talking armor.  They're hardly a required item for a kit, but they are by no means clunky or bad for mobility or stability if you have a good pair made to your shoes and your feet.  The only reason to not have sabatons is purely aesthetic or stylistic, which is a 100% valid reason in its own right.

I also don't understand what sabs have to do with making you appear renaissance.  Plate sabs make their first appearance on English effigies by 1330 and become common place by the 1350's.  That firmly puts plate sabatons in the heart of the late medieval period.

--- End quote ---

Correct but sabotons of plate armor were more common-placed in later-era than earlier. I don't want to look like Maximillian. Like you said, they can serve a purpose but not needed for my intentions. It's preference. They were the rich person's need to be completely covered head to toe. :) It does look good on your armor kit. Works better on foot soldiers than jousters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version