Main > The Courtyard

On the Krumphau

<< < (11/13) > >>

Ian:
For what it's worth, after consideration, study, watching the videos over, and also reading the discussion on the JC Krump here , I am for the most part convinced that what they're doing shouldn't be called a Krumphau.  I still think it's an incredibly viable martial technique, and I'm still not a fan of the 'standard' krump either.  I like what JC is doing, but I will concede, it's probably not a krump.  The arguments and rationale are just too much of a stretch when compared to the source material.  The standard krump does fit the source material, but I'm still not a true believer of it working when someone doesn't just blindly thrust forward and completely doesn't notice you stepping off line.

Sir Edward:
Well, as with any other cut in the system, it'll have its advantages and disadvantages depending on what the other guy is doing. I think in the bouting I've seen/done, more often than not people are using it when the other guy isn't watching his distance, or is asleep in guard (it breaks Ochs), or as a feint to draw the guy out of Ochs, or in deflecting an unterhau. As a counter to a thrust, it's just one option. Admittedly I'm more likely to do something else against a simple thrust, unless it's a high thrust from Ochs, which I don't think people have done to me very often at all.

But I think something to consider also is that when someone is throwing a thrust, it doesn't have the same sort of lateral momentum that a full cut would have. It's hard to turn that into a cut with any sort of power if the guy moves. It's easier to redirect the thrust. To me I don't think the offline step is just about trying to avoid the thrust, it's also about getting around the other guy's sword and striking an opening.

As with anything, it won't work all the time and for all situations.

And also, it may not work with your personal style very well, and you may have a preference for other specific tactics. I just try to caution people against discounting something that may be useful in some contexts, especially since you can easily fall into a smaller repertoire, and then be completely hosed when you fight someone who does things differently than you're used to. And considering that the period masters considered it to be one of the five master-cuts (and it really is just a basic cut according to the texts), it's worth working with it.

You know, it occurs to me that we'll both be at DoK. We can break out the trainers and work through some ideas.

Jessica Finley:
Wish I could make DOK.  I'd love to sit in on this training session!  :)

I love this stuff.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Jessica Finley on 2012-09-20, 04:34:56 ---Wish I could make DOK.  I'd love to sit in on this training session!  :)

I love this stuff.

--- End quote ---

I'd love to see those 12 armored combat techniques too!

Sir Brian:
The krumphau was our primary focus @ class last night. Larry wanted us (Matt, Josh and I) to drill by using the Krumphau in more of a parry repost, two tempo action and we drilled four different secondary attacks after executing a Krumphau. Most of what we drilled coincides with what I’ve been applying anyways since I prefer to use the Krumphau more as a preparatory attack to open a line for a secondary attack which even though is a two tempo action can be nearly as fast as a single tempo if executed quickly and decisively enough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version