Coup de Groin

(1/5) > >>

Sir Edward:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaYZI3oCfuA&NR=1[/youtube]
()

Sir Wolf:
AHHAAHHAHAHAAHAH

crotchpunt (
hmmm say it with a german accent and it sounds better :)

Das Bill:
I really abhor this video. I don't want to start a flame war against ARMA, because that's not my intent, but this video is on their main site with their feature videos, supposedly as a good example of how rapier is all about "do whatever it takes to survive". If someone pulled that crap at VAF, where he was willing to injure a partner during free fencing in order to win a point, I'd kick his ass out, and he'd never be welcome back, *period*. And you can be sure Alex would back me up for doing that.

I hate that kind of BS behaviour. When you fence with a partner, you are putting their safety into your hands. You are entering an agreement with them that, while accidents happen, you are going to do your best to stay in control of yourself. Injuring a partner (not an enemy!) bad enough that he has to drop on the ground in pain is a sign that you have no right to use a sword. Its also a perfect example of what outsiders point to when they say people like us are out of their mind and are a danger to society.

Sorry for the rant.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2008-08-21, 04:12:45 ---Sorry for the rant.

--- End quote ---

No need to apologize, I'm in 100% agreement. I'm surprised that they're using it as an example on their site. I just came across it on youtube by accident and thought someone might have been poking at them by posting it. I guess I was wrong. :)

Since it's highly unlikely that we'll ever go to war with obsolete weapons and require strong sword skills, I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of us enter into historical swordsmanship from a variety of other reasons, ranging from entertainment, to personal development, to historical study. And none of those require intentionally injuring your partner.

Christian Tobler:
Yes. If someone did that to me in a sword bout, I'd consider it a genuine assault and would respond accordingly.

It's disgusting that this kind of garbage is being used promotionally.

All the best,

Christian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version