Main > The Courtyard

Schielhau Krumphau (video)

<< < (2/5) > >>

Ian:
I love these guys!  Here's a couple more vids from presumably the same school

This level of speed and power is what's missing from just about every WMA school I've ever researched in the US short of ARMA (yeah, say what you will about John Clements' personality, but he gets this very important aspect of martial arts that most other HEMA/WMA organizations seem to ignore; the requirement for power and intent).  That missing element is oft why I just have a hard time getting in to it myself.  I understand that slower speed drilling as a safety measure is important at first, but a lot of techniques do not behave at half-speed like they would at full speed.  I believe a lot of schools make concessions and compromise on historical technique as a result.  You can not dismiss or rethink a technique based on it's behavior at half-speed.  Train like you fight, fight like you train.  If you truly want to become proficient at and master a martial art, then it must be conducted with speed, intent, and power.  Danger is an inherent risk, after all, this is a martial art.

Thorsteinn:

--- Quote ---That missing element is oft why I just have a hard time getting in to it myself.  I understand that slower speed drilling as a safety measure is important at first, but a lot of techniques do not behave at half-speed like they would at full speed.
--- End quote ---

Thats why I advise many folks to watch Count Sir Marc de Arundel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschine/videos?query=marc

I would also advise Count Sir Thjothrekr Eiriksen if there were vids of him being awesome.

Vid of Marc:

See me in the blue hood?

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2012-07-08, 13:31:50 ---This level of speed and power is what's missing from just about every WMA school I've ever researched in the US short of ARMA (yeah, say what you will about John Clements' personality, but he gets this very important aspect of martial arts that most other HEMA/WMA organizations seem to ignore; the requirement for power and intent).  That missing element is oft why I just have a hard time getting in to it myself.  I understand that slower speed drilling as a safety measure is important at first, but a lot of techniques do not behave at half-speed like they would at full speed.  I believe a lot of schools make concessions and compromise on historical technique as a result.  You can not dismiss or rethink a technique based on it's behavior at half-speed.  Train like you fight, fight like you train.  If you truly want to become proficient at and master a martial art, then it must be conducted with speed, intent, and power.  Danger is an inherent risk, after all, this is a martial art.

--- End quote ---

Very well said, Ian.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2012-07-08, 13:31:50 ---This level of speed and power is what's missing from just about every WMA school I've ever researched in the US short of ARMA (yeah, say what you will about John Clements' personality, but he gets this very important aspect of martial arts that most other HEMA/WMA organizations seem to ignore; the requirement for power and intent).  That missing element is oft why I just have a hard time getting in to it myself.  I understand that slower speed drilling as a safety measure is important at first, but a lot of techniques do not behave at half-speed like they would at full speed.  I believe a lot of schools make concessions and compromise on historical technique as a result.  You can not dismiss or rethink a technique based on it's behavior at half-speed.  Train like you fight, fight like you train.  If you truly want to become proficient at and master a martial art, then it must be conducted with speed, intent, and power.  Danger is an inherent risk, after all, this is a martial art.

--- End quote ---

Be careful about discounting all of the HEMA groups though, there's more interest in speed and intent out there as time goes on. The MD-KDF guys are pretty intense, as an example.

At VAF, we don't always ramp up the speed, since they're a business with liabilities. But on our own time, some of us fight with a lot more intensity than we will in class, but with an eye toward safety, since you absolutely have to, otherwise people break bones and then can't play anymore.

Keep in mind also, a lot of these vids are planned. They're working on specific combinations of techniques, so there aren't many surprises, and thus it's safer to go fast and hard.

Any time you're fighting in a more freeform manner, some considerations have to be made for safety.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-07-08, 23:07:01 ---Be careful about discounting all of the HEMA groups though, there's more interest in speed and intent out there as time goes on. The MD-KDF guys are pretty intense, as an example.
--- End quote ---
What? - No love for MASHS?  :o
...And here I thought Larry totally convinced you of the necessity of having a chest protector when you train with us! ;)

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-07-08, 23:07:01 ---At VAF, we don't always ramp up the speed, since they're a business with liabilities. But on our own time, some of us fight with a lot more intensity than we will in class, but with an eye toward safety, since you absolutely have to, otherwise people break bones and then can't play anymore.
Keep in mind also, a lot of these vids are planned. They're working on specific combinations of techniques, so there aren't many surprises, and thus it's safer to go fast and hard.
Any time you're fighting in a more freeform manner, some considerations have to be made for safety.
--- End quote ---
Hear hear! Well stated Sir Edward, after all we are the most important safety equipment for our fellow students of WMA. Just as in eastern martial arts the most dangerous sparring opponent you can face is a novice who has little or no control whereas the guys in the video demonstrated phenomenal blade control.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version