Main > The Courtyard

Schielhau Krumphau (video)

<< < (5/5)

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2012-07-10, 11:31:40 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-07-10, 03:28:47 ---so correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't actually shoot at each other with live rounds in training, do they?

--- End quote ---

No of course not, but I think that would be more along the lines of sparring with sharps, which I think we can all agree would be stupidly dangerous.

--- End quote ---

I do apologize for misunderstanding your original points. I was starting to go down the line of reasoning about how ALL training is an altered, unrealistic experience, simply because you're trying not to harm your training partners, while still learning a deadly martial art.

It could be argued that unless you're shooting at each other in earnest, or fighting with sharps, that you're not getting the full experience. :) But of course, doing so is absurd.

So I do apologize.

--- Quote from: Ian on 2012-07-10, 11:31:40 ---That's good to hear.  I hope those things become more ingrained in the community.  The Japanese have gotten this right, look at Kendo for example, and that too for all intents and purposes is an obsolete martial art.  You can bet your bottom dollar I will be the first to sign up at a school where I can learn to train HEMA with athleticism.  I will say that even the 'study group' of ARMA closest to me is no where near what I was looking to do.  The dude in charge of running that group is not even authorized to progress students to steel blunts.  That was all I needed to hear on my 3rd lesson...

--- End quote ---

The problem may be that there isn't a good group in your area. We're rather lucky here in the DC area, since we have MD-KDF, MASHS, VAF, and now a local Selohaar instructor, and also the DC Dueling Club (very informal group), plus a bunch of folks who aren't members of any of them, but study on their own or in small groups. All of them can cover the spectrum, as Bill pointed out.

This could be a good excuse to start your own. Many groups get started by having a few people get together with some books, and start working through it. Once the ball is rolling, you can attend a few events to match what you're doing with how others do it, fill in some gaps, and go from there.

Joshua Santana:
I see plenty of great points to consider.

I agree that practicing at full speed and power is the ideal scenario, however we need to play safe to 1. learn the correct body and blade mechanics, 2. get timing right, 3. help the other person learn the technique since not everyone fights or drills the same exact way. 

Bouting or practicing at full speed or power is a risk by itself yet there is nothing wrong with playing safe as to prevent broken wrists, fingers or bones. 

Never the less, I agree with what Das Bill ha stated here. 

Ian:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2012-07-10, 13:04:46 ---Ian, correct me if I'm wrong, but what I'm reading from your posts is that you don't have to *get* injured (or injure someone else) to be training with full intensity and drive, and just because you *get* injured (or injure someone else) doesn't mean that you were training with full intensity and drive. In other words, the injury itself is completely irrelevant to the "level" of training; the key is in the *accepting potential injury* that opens the door to more intense training that most others will not do?

--- End quote ---

Yes, that is what I was trying to say 100%.

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2012-07-10, 13:41:29 ---
If I may make a brief contribution to this discussion...

I'm an athlete. Pure and simple. I train historical European martial arts hard, and I train the way I learned in other martial arts. I spend at least four to five hours a day doing drills (both solo and partnered, depending on circumstance), and I teach this 40 hours a week as a full time job. This is coupled with strength training and agility training (from pushups to medicine ball drills to sprinting drills). And while what I see in the video is excellent, I also train with people who can move every bit as fast and precise (both within my own group as well as people from other groups).

I'm not saying this to brag (in fact, I've never even brought this up before on the internet), but I say this to bring up the point that you can't generalize that all groups are the same. In fact, you can't even generalize that all people within a group are the same: I have many students who fall into all three of the categories you listed before: Kids who's parents want them to do something besides play video games, older adults who want a slow paced but unique work out, and people who are serious martial artists and want to become the best they can be. I encourage students to go as far as they want to go, and I don't push them to be something they don't want to be.

Heck, I know for a fact that this is true for ARMA. I've had a number of ex-ARMA guys come to my school over the years. Some are high level athletes, and some barely know their left from their right, and can't even keep balance during footwork drills. Just because you're part of a particular group, no matter how good the instructor is, you only get out what you put in.

So while I don't disagree with a lot that you said, I also don't want you to assume EVERYONE is like that in the HEMA scene. I think more and more you're going to see a much bigger variety of people involved as the art grows.

--- End quote ---

Bill, thank you for your addition to the discussion.  I did come off as making an unfair and sweeping generalization so I will back-pedal a bit here if you'll allow.  What you've said about having all '3' types of students in your school alone is very encouraging, in the respect that you allow the students to take their level of intensity as high as they are willing to go.  Only then can someone grow as a martial artist.   The level of dedication that you show to the sport is an inspiration to others.  I wish most HEMA/WMA organizations had someone so dedicated to their craft.  I think it says a lot that your full time job is WMA.  The groups I've seen locally are generally lead by people who are, shall we say, not in the best shape, and do this as a pure part-time hobby.  I want to learn from the dedicated practitioner!

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-07-10, 14:43:55 ---The problem may be that there isn't a good group in your area. We're rather lucky here in the DC area, since we have MD-KDF, MASHS, VAF, and now a local Selohaar instructor, and also the DC Dueling Club (very informal group), plus a bunch of folks who aren't members of any of them, but study on their own or in small groups. All of them can cover the spectrum, as Bill pointed out.

This could be a good excuse to start your own. Many groups get started by having a few people get together with some books, and start working through it. Once the ball is rolling, you can attend a few events to match what you're doing with how others do it, fill in some gaps, and go from there.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I will definitely agree that I have been unable to find any good groups in my area.  Who knows, Norfolk is a possible location for my next tour so maybe I'll be in the area one day!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version