Main > The Courtyard

Longsword Demo Combat Technical Discussion

<< < (5/7) > >>

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2012-06-15, 21:52:36 ---Also trying to get myself to correctly break a guard.

--- End quote ---

This is a tricky one. While you do want to instinctively flow into the correct attack based on what guard your opponent is, the problem is that the other guy will probably be expecting that. So if you want to be less predictable, you need to not always do the "right" thing here, and instead do something else. So if you're not naturally falling right into the "correct" attack all the time, as long as you can do it sometimes, you're probably not that bad off.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-06-15, 23:23:51 ---
--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2012-06-15, 21:52:36 ---Also trying to get myself to correctly break a guard.

--- End quote ---

This is a tricky one. While you do want to instinctively flow into the correct attack based on what guard your opponent is, the problem is that the other guy will probably be expecting that. So if you want to be less predictable, you need to not always do the "right" thing here, and instead do something else. So if you're not naturally falling right into the "correct" attack all the time, as long as you can do it sometimes, you're probably not that bad off.
--- End quote ---

Bingo! Sir Edward is absolutely correct. Everyone knows which Meisterhau conquers which guard therefore unless you intend to stay in the nach and hope to land a riposte or stop thrust you will have to engage surreptitiously to their open line from an unconventional angle.

i.e. Instead of executing a Krumphau to an Ochs guard try an unterhau to the opposite lower quadrant for a couple of exchanges when your opponent takes that guard. Even if you don't get past their parry you are essentially 'conditioning' your opponent to expect that attack angle from you when they are in that particular guard. Then on the third or four go at their Ochs guard you execute a krumphau. - Remember our first duel? You relied upon the thrust once too often and on the third time you tried it I voided it entirely and stepped into your line with my Oberhau. I was able to do that because I 'knew' you would probably continue with what you thought was working out for you, but you cannot expect your opponent to so readily accommodate you in such a manner and so you must anticipate that they will figure out your shenanigans fairly quickly and do the exact opposite of what you want or expect them to do. As a general rule expect your opponent to be at least as good or far better than you and engage them accordingly.  ;)

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Bingo! Sir Edward is absolutely correct. Everyone knows which Meisterhau conquers which guard therefore unless you intend to stay in the nach and hope to land a riposte or stop thrust you will have to engage surreptitiously to their open line from an unconventional angle.

i.e. Instead of executing a Krumphau to an Ochs guard try an unterhau to the opposite lower quadrant for a couple of exchanges when your opponent takes that guard. Even if you don't get past their parry you are essentially 'conditioning' your opponent to expect that attack angle from you when they are in that particular guard. Then on the third or four go at their Ochs guard you execute a krumphau. - Remember our first duel? You relied upon the thrust once too often and on the third time you tried it I voided it entirely and stepped into your line with my Oberhau. I was able to do that because I 'knew' you would probably continue with what you thought was working out for you, but you cannot expect your opponent to so readily accommodate you in such a manner and so you must anticipate that they will figure out your shenanigans fairly quickly and do the exact opposite of what you want or expect them to do. As a general rule expect your opponent to be at least as good or far better than you and engage them accordingly.
--- End quote ---

Quite true indeed, the better skilled opponent will use anything in his repertoire to stop his opponent's offense and to get the better of the situation.

Best advice is to mix up your fighting strategies and adjust according to what your opponent throws at you.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2012-06-15, 21:52:36 ---Sir Brian, I'm in the process of getting that video. Things have been busy, so I haven't had a chance yet to get my paws on the video camera.

My biggest thing right now is trying to get my cuts speed up, and being able to string them into combinations. Also trying to get myself to correctly break a guard. I need to get myself that pell....

--- End quote ---

I'm working on the one my wife recorded too. It's 436MB, and we have it on the PC, but way too big to email or post; I might just burn a CD and have it sent via sneaker-net.

Thorsteinn:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2012-06-16, 22:17:04 ---I'm working on the one my wife recorded too. It's 436MB, and we have it on the PC, but way too big to email or post; I might just burn a CD and have it sent via sneaker-net.

--- End quote ---

Break it up into pieces & load it onto Youtube or put it into your Google Docs account & send out a download link. If you don't have Movie Maker I would be happy to do it for you. :)

BTW why so large? 486 mb is bigger than some of the Game Of Thrones episodes I have.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version