Main > The Courtyard

Longsword Demo Combat Technical Discussion

<< < (4/7) > >>

Thorsteinn:
Be careful not to over think it or get over specialized in the Same vs Same weapon fights.

I've seen this happen to SCA Sword & Shield guys who do nothing but train to defeat other Sword & Shield guys. The dojo artifacts creep in and the moment they face a spear, axe, mace, etc the fall apart.

-Ivan

BTW & OT: Vor is also Russian for Thief, as in the Vory V Zakone.

Sir Edward:
I'm working on adding a bunch of the German terms to the glossary so they'll highlight. That'll help everyone out. I know I have a hard time keeping them straight myself.

Don't worry about the same vs mixed weapons issue for this discussion. We mix it up all the time in class, but this discussion sprang out of the longsword demo we performed at VARF, so for the sake of this discussion, it's OK to consider just longsword vs longsword. Also, with the German system, it's really not any different if you switch to single-hand sword, or sword and buckler. The techniques change very little.

With reasonably well made steel swords, we can do thrusts safely, as long as people wear their gorgets or at least have a decent bib on their fencing mask. We do just have to be careful to keep it under control.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote ---I am still learning to string various attacks together on the offensive as well as the defensive.
--- End quote ---

I’ve found working a pell as a good means of developing attack and defense then counter attack combinations which can become fairly elaborate as you try to visualize the parries and counter moves an opponent could take and let that lead into your next angle of attack. – Several training partners have told me that I make some of my attacks from unconventional angles, which derives from my work with the pell.

A good place to start when dueling is to consider which guard your opponent is in and maneuvering yourself and taking a guard (usually vom tag) to launch an attack to break that particular guard they are in. Then expand upon that concept by working into a particular attack from a guard not considered to be optimum to initiate the appropriate Meisterhau verses the guard they are in.

--- Quote ---My own experience shows me that I am either on the offensive or the defensive with little thought about swapping between the two.

I am having to consciously think about 1-2 attacks max followed by backing out of range with a guard or an attack.

Currently I find that I attack/parry and I'm still in close.  I want to keep pressing the attack but I can't because I haven't thought that far ahead...

Another thing I also learned is trying to have a good spatial awareness of how big your sword is, how to catch your opponent's blade and either deflect, parry or redirect the blade to open something else up.  After that is done, then realizing and being able to analyze what is now open and can be struck as part of the parry, or taking the option to fly out of the melee to reset.
--- End quote ---

Everyone struggles with this. Everyone! Those that have been dueling longer have a much deeper repertoire to draw from but the key conditional modifier is that every engagement is different. No two binds with the blades are the same and every disengagement holds the potential of leaving a line of attack open to be exploited by an opponent with a little better reflexes and tactical perception at that given moment but all in all judging from your perceptions you are well on your way in developing a keen fighting instinct.  :)

Thorsteinn:

--- Quote ---I am having to consciously think about 1-2 attacks max followed by backing out of range with a guard or an attack.
--- End quote ---

"Flow" is one of the hardest skills to get and an easy one to lose as it's 50/50 mental & physical.

Do you do any Eastern Martial Arts? The same things that let you flow in those will let you flow here. I have been recently told that my form has just sucked (it has) & for some reason my flow has left me. I think it's because I worry about my shoulders giving out, thusly not giving myself to the fight, and thusly put my shoulders in greater danger of injury.

Strange as it seems, good circuit training in the gym will help. Working the whole body while zoning out will help.

SirNathanQ:
Sir Brian, I'm in the process of getting that video. Things have been busy, so I haven't had a chance yet to get my paws on the video camera.

My biggest thing right now is trying to get my cuts speed up, and being able to string them into combinations. Also trying to get myself to correctly break a guard. I need to get myself that pell....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version