Main > The Armoury

First plate armor piece?

<< < (3/7) > >>

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Not exactly.  Most armorer's will not require measurements without your arming clothes on because they really make no difference with regard to fit of the plate pieces.  Armorer's generally want all measurements taken with the client wearing any arming garment and padding that they plan to wear in harness.  The only time the measurements without garments come in to play would be for sizing the arming clothes themselves.  Or perhaps for things like gauntlets or helmets where you may not have anything on underneath...  I would go further to say that any armorer who doesn't advise his client on the proper fitting of the arming clothes beneath and the measurements required with arming clothes on is not a reputable armorer.
--- End quote ---

I see your point, first get the arming doublet measured (in my case), then measure with the arming doublet for the armor itself.

--- Quote ---This is the danger with putting the cart in front of the horse and giving in to the temptation of buying armor before having properly fitted and functional arming clothes.  People get so excited to get the armor and measure themselves and submit the order.  Meanwhile they get some arming clothes, then the armor arrives and it's too tight and incredibly restrictive because the measurements were not taken with the arming garments being worn.  Then you're stuck with a huge chunk of change tied up in poorly fitted armor (no fault of the armorer's of course, but solely the fault of an impatient client).  Sadly, poorly fitted armor has lead to the modern misconception that armor was restrictive, clunky, and uncomfortable.
--- End quote ---

That was a concern of mine and is my reason for asking the question. 

--- Quote ---If you're going to invest in quality armor, do it right! :)

--- End quote ---

Exactly and I am determined to get it right.   ;)

Lord Dane:
I pieced my armor together from different places & people so it was cost-efficient but still had the look I wanted for its intended purpose (i.e. combat fighting, jousting, theatrical, etc). Safe to say, I gave lots of medieval enthusiasts/merchants some business over the years. Make sure your armor is authentic-looking to your character (or look you want to portray) but more importantly that it serve its intended function. Heavy-guage for combat-use as opposed to light-weight aluminum for a day of renfaire theatrics. Purpose matters for armor. You can get great deals on ebay, 2nd hand or even custom finds being sold reasonably priced by previous owners for your 1st armor kit or suit. My suggestion is same.... do what works best for your wallet. However, still shop around unless you are totally committed to buying your own custom-made stuff specific to you. In that case, do it right & find a quality armourer for what you want.

I wear a combination of padding, maille, and plate armor but my intended use besides being authentic is for combat-fighting.  I'll wear different armor pieces for freedom of motion but without compromising protection.  Make sure your stuff is articulated & measured properly.  Functional armor is ALWAYS RECOMMENDED. 

Sir Wolf:
to many words, not enough pictures!

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---I pieced my armor together from different places & people so it was cost-efficient but still had the look I wanted for its intended purpose (i.e. combat fighting, jousting, theatrical, etc). Safe to say, I gave lots of medieval enthusiasts/merchants some business over the years. Make sure your armor is authentic-looking to your character (or look you want to portray) but more importantly that it serve its intended function. Heavy-guage for combat-use as opposed to light-weight aluminum for a day of renfaire theatrics. Purpose matters for armor. You can get great deals on ebay, 2nd hand or even custom finds being sold reasonably priced by previous owners for your 1st armor kit or suit. My suggestion is same.... do what works best for your wallet. However, still shop around unless you are totally committed to buying your own custom-made stuff specific to you. In that case, do it right & find a quality armourer for what you want.

I wear a combination of padding, maille, and plate armor but my intended use besides being authentic is for combat-fighting.  I'll wear different armor pieces for freedom of motion but without compromising protection.  Make sure your stuff is articulated & measured properly.  Functional armor is ALWAYS RECOMMENDED. 
--- End quote ---

Interesting. 

My Kit is still in the drafting process but it has come quite a long way than what is posted in the Armoury Thread.  Essentially it is a Late 16th Century Half-Harness which will develop over time into a Battlefield - Tournament/One on One Combat/Judicial Dueling Garniture with a full leg harness with greaves and sabatons, Gauntlets and a Peascod Breast and Back Plate without Tassets (the Half Harness is a Close Helmet or Armet Helmet, Gorget, Breast and Back Plate with Tassets and Full Arm Harness).  This is designed from several late 16th Century Portraits and Museum Tourney Armor examples. 

The purpose to this Kit is not just the Look but to replicate authentic 16th Century Armored Combat (with Sideswords, Poleaxes or Polearms and Spadones  ;D ) as well as for Story Telling Events in which I get the word about Renaissance Chivalry and great tales of Chivalry to the Public. 

But I agree that properly measured arming garb and armor pieces are a must. 

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-06-09, 02:41:40 ---
Yeah, how long it takes depends on a lot of factors, not the least of which will be what you can afford. Often what happens if you try to spread it out, is that there will always be other things that need your money, and so if it takes 10 years, it's usually because you keep putting it aside in favor of other priorities. It's also harder to make everything match that way.

However, for a lot of folks, doing it a little at a time is the only way to afford it. So it can work for you, depending on how often you can afford to get a little more.

--- End quote ---

Yep, the side factors can definitely influence things. For someone like Illusion, who typically has a 9-12 month wait time before they start your order, each order could have that long of a wait time between production - if you can get in with the ~1 year production wait time, then have the whole harness fabricated in about a month (I was quoted 4 weeks to make an entire harness back in '08). The majority of the wait will be in just sitting on the waiting list. It is certainly a stretch to drop for a whole harness at once, but since we're talking Illusion specifically, they do "layaway" plans last I spoke with them - 20% down to get on the list, 50% paid before work starts, and 100% paid before shipping (of course). So if it's something possible, it can drastically reduce that waiting time.

But as Ian said, foundation garments first, and they'll make *all* the difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version