Main > The Armoury

First plate armor piece?

<< < (2/7) > >>

Sir Edward:

Yeah, how long it takes depends on a lot of factors, not the least of which will be what you can afford. Often what happens if you try to spread it out, is that there will always be other things that need your money, and so if it takes 10 years, it's usually because you keep putting it aside in favor of other priorities. It's also harder to make everything match that way.

However, for a lot of folks, doing it a little at a time is the only way to afford it. So it can work for you, depending on how often you can afford to get a little more.

Ian:
Illusion is known for their particularly long delivery schedule.  First, get a good arming coat or gambeson so when you submit measurements they include your arming clothes.  Also decide if you plan to wear maille underneath the plate (this is historically accurate but many modern reenactors forego this because it's heavier and less comfortable) because it will also have an effect on the measurements for your plate pieces.   If you have to go piece by piece I would probably get arms first as well.  Then spaulders (if you dont get arms with attached spaulders), then I would work on the legs.

You can save chest, gauntlets and helmet til the end.  Chest is easy to hide with a surcoat so no one knows you dont have a breastplate. And not having gauntlets and a helmet on is fine, as people would probably not wear them all the time just for comfort's sake when in camp but still in armor.

Sir Rodney:
I'll second Ian's comments.  Like a good house, start with a solid foundation.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Illusion is known for their particularly long delivery schedule.  First, get a good arming coat or gambeson so when you submit measurements they include your arming clothes.  Also decide if you plan to wear maille underneath the plate (this is historically accurate but many modern re-enactors forgo this because it's heavier and less comfortable) because it will also have an effect on the measurements for your plate pieces.   If you have to go piece by piece I would probably get arms first as well.  Then spaulders (if you don'I think I mentioned that I'm basing Sir Palidor on Paladin...even stealing some of his famous quotes. Palidin had a hidden derringer...and since Sor Palidor will be Scottish...even up till the end of WWI, they alwways kept two hodden daggers (started in medieval time) one in the boot and the other under the arm.I found the whole 250? episodes real cheap and am watching them a little at a time. I always liked him as a kid...like his episodes even more now...so much philosophy and high morals. They should put it on again for the younger people to watch. It would teach them some good things.
t get arms with attached spaulders), then I would work on the legs.
--- End quote ---

What I'm getting from Sir Ian is that when doing the measurements.  First get the arming doublet (in my case), measure body length and width without the arming doublet and measure again with the arming doublet.  Is this correct on my part? 

Ian:

--- Quote from: Joshua Santana on 2012-06-09, 17:01:55 ---What I'm getting from Sir Ian is that when doing the measurements.  First get the arming doublet (in my case), measure body length and width without the arming doublet and measure again with the arming doublet.  Is this correct on my part?

--- End quote ---

Not exactly.  Most armorer's will not require measurements without your arming clothes on because they really make no difference with regard to fit of the plate pieces.  Armorer's generally want all measurements taken with the client wearing any arming garment and padding that they plan to wear in harness.  The only time the measurements without garments come in to play would be for sizing the arming clothes themselves.  Or perhaps for things like gauntlets or helmets where you may not have anything on underneath...  I would go further to say that any armorer who doesn't advise his client on the proper fitting of the arming clothes beneath and the measurements required with arming clothes on is not a reputable armorer.

This is the danger with putting the cart in front of the horse and giving in to the temptation of buying armor before having properly fitted and functional arming clothes.  People get so excited to get the armor and measure themselves and submit the order.  Meanwhile they get some arming clothes, then the armor arrives and it's too tight and incredibly restrictive because the measurements were not taken with the arming garments being worn.  Then you're stuck with a huge chunk of change tied up in poorly fitted armor (no fault of the armorer's of course, but solely the fault of an impatient client).  Sadly, poorly fitted armor has lead to the modern misconception that armor was restrictive, clunky, and uncomfortable.

If you're going to invest in quality armor, do it right! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version