Main > The Armoury

Antique 16th century plate legs - or at least, they look like it (RemOil is BAD)

<< < (3/9) > >>

Sir Matthew:
I prefer to use Kano Kroil oil, but I'm having a hard time finding it. Hoppes will work, but it's pretty pricey, at least where I am at.  I don't use WD 40 on my armor anymore and am hesitant to use new oils because I am unsure of  their protective value and if they might take the blueing off my armor.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2012-06-03, 13:05:37 ---Like Sir Edward mentioned, after the WD-40, you wipe it clean and THEN apply an oil.

--- End quote ---

That's the process I followed. I used to just do scrub-down (typically wire wheel ... before I knew better), then wipedown, then WD-40.

I'll look into the BreakFree CLP oil. Is there a typical local store that might have it? I think I'm going to look into waxes too. The harness I bought had very minimal rusting, and it was coated with wax, not oil.

I think I'm going to polish it more when I get some "down time" later; the more polished steel is, the more it resists rust. Just need to make sure I don't go all "chrome knight" shiny....

I need a squire for this cleaning. :)

SirNathanQ:
Huh, it seems the more we do this, the more we appreciate the value of Squires!  ???

Sir Rodney:
Yikes!  That is like waking up from a nightmare only to find out you’re wrapped in another nightmare.   :o

I’ve also heard many people, amateurs and professionals, rave about BreakFree CLP on myArmoury and the Armour Archive.  I plan on purchasing some as soon as my current can of gun oil runs out.

Currently, I’m using a cheap Birchwood Casey synthetic gun oil in a 4.5 ounce can.  Regular application has resulted in favorable results with only minor polishing needed on occasion.  Like I said, as soon as it runs out I’m picking up the BreakFree because by all accounts it’s the bomb.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Yikes!  That is like waking up from a nightmare only to find out you’re wrapped in another nightmare.   :o

I’ve also heard many people, amateurs and professionals, rave about BreakFree CLP on myArmoury and the Armour Archive.  I plan on purchasing some as soon as my current can of gun oil runs out.

Currently, I’m using a cheap Birchwood Casey synthetic gun oil in a 4.5 ounce can.  Regular application has resulted in favorable results with only minor polishing needed on occasion.  Like I said, as soon as it runs out I’m picking up the BreakFree because by all accounts it’s the bomb.
--- End quote ---

Interesting, good information and I don't think Squires would a big deal if we polished armor like a household chore, that would solve every problem wouldn't it?   ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version