Main > The Armoury

Antique 16th century plate legs - or at least, they look like it (RemOil is BAD)

(1/9) > >>

Sir James A:
This was a rather unpleasant find. After cleaning off the rust from wearing my harness at VARF last week, I did the 'usual' ... CLR w/scotchbrite, WD40, dry, oil, ???, profit.

The next morning?

Yep. The *entire* leg rusted. The top leg is from the same process, but not using the RemOil. I may have to disassemble these to get them properly cleaned, the oil rusted things so badly it's even in-between the articulation. And I had some small, light spots of rust on the leg harness before applying that oil - it was nowhere near that rusted all over, or that dark of a patina either.

I picked up the RemOil in a spray can, and a package of oil-soaked wipes, at Wal-Mart in the gun section. The can says "exceptionally high performance cleaner, lubricant and corrosion protectant" ... I think it should say corrosion promoter. It's terrible. Don't let it anywhere near your armor!

SirNathanQ:
THE HORROR!!!!! THE HORROR!!!! OH GOD, MAKE IT STOP!!!  :o :o :o

That's insane. Looks like you rolled a natural 1 on a saving throw against some +15 rust monsters  :P

Sir Edward:
Yeah, this has been happening with my MercTailor gauntlets as well. My troubles began when I switched to the spray gun oil. I'm going to go back to mineral oil.

Mine is a different brand of gun oil, but something I noticed on the label is that it's synthetic. I wonder if there's something in it that reacts with trace amounts of the CLR left on the metal. I never had much trouble when I cleaned the CLR off with a thorough wipe-down, and then WD-40 and wipe-down again, and then put mineral oil over it.

Sir Ulrich:
Thats why I use olive oil to oil my armor. I sweat all over my coif and it still didn't rust thanks to the oil I put on it. I cant use anything synthetic as I was totally allergic to synthetic oil on armor.

Sir Wolf:
i think there maybe water in all spray on oils to help with the spraw part.

ugggggggggggg horror for sure man. i feel for you

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version