Main > The Armoury

Looking for high-quality bascinet recommendations.

(1/5) > >>

Ian:
So, I'm in the market for a high quality hundsgugel bascinet.  I contacted Jeffrey Hedgecock about it and he seemed interested but I can't seem to get a hold of him anymore.  (He said he would contact me in a few days, a week or 2 goes by, I email him, repeat).  So I'm considering that a no-go for now.

I've tried to ask on the Armour Archive as well, but so far I've only got what seem to be SCA-centric responses and I'm not interested in an SCA helm.  I'm looking for a living history quality bascinet capable of live-steel contact.  Historical dimension and accuracy down to the liner and padding for the aventail is priority #1.  Greg Mele recommended Jacek Matera (who does ridiculously awesome work), but he said Jacek has terrible English skills and to go through secondary sellers of his work (like Gambesons.pl), but neither have any houndskulls currently (But they do have some beautiful klappvisors if anyone's intersted http://www.gambeson.pl/medieval-on-line-shop/medieval-armour/helmet-klappvisier-1.html).  If I were in the market for a good klappvisor, that one would be on it's way to me right now.

http://jollyknight.com.ua/armoury/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=65  Something like this comes very close to what I'm looking for, but I want heat-treated spring steel, not mild or stainless.

I'd of course consider Jeffrey Wasson again, but I'm trying to avoid a long queue if possible.  If you guys have any recommendations I'd love to hear them.

Sir Brian:
Did you ask Allan if he'd be interested in making a helm for you? ???

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---So, I'm in the market for a high quality hundsgugel bascinet.  I contacted Jeffrey Hedgecock about it and he seemed interested but I can't seem to get a hold of him anymore.  (He said he would contact me in a few days, a week or 2 goes by, I email him, repeat).  So I'm considering that a no-go for now.
--- End quote ---

Wait for his response and if he doesn't email him again or call him.  I have heard some things about Historic Enterprises that sound like they are slowing in their production rate, but I cannot be sure if that is true or not.

--- Quote ---I've tried to ask on the Armour Archive as well, but so far I've only got what seem to be SCA-centric responses and I'm not interested in an SCA helm.  I'm looking for a living history quality bascinet capable of live-steel contact.  Historical dimension and accuracy down to the liner and padding for the aventail is priority #1.  Greg Mele recommended Jacek Matera (who does ridiculously awesome work), but he said Jacek has terrible English skills and to go through secondary sellers of his work (like Gambesons.pl), but neither have any houndskulls currently (But they do have some beautiful klappvisors if anyone's intersted http://www.gambeson.pl/medieval-on-line-shop/medieval-armour/helmet-klappvisier-1.html).  If I were in the market for a good klappvisor, that one would be on it's way to me right now.

http://jollyknight.com.ua/armoury/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=65  Something like this comes very close to what I'm looking for, but I want heat-treated spring steel, not mild or stainless.

I'd of course consider Jeffrey Wasson again, but I'm trying to avoid a long queue if possible.  If you guys have any recommendations I'd love to hear them.
--- End quote ---

That is a very difficult because there are very few armourers that work with spring steel.  However I would ask Wasson and see what he says since he produces houndskull helmets like these

I would try to give Matera an email written in his native language to help things.  And I would try asking Allan along the way.

Ian:
Well, my harness is entirely by Jeff Wasson and Jeff Hedgecock already, so I was trying to share the love a bit :)  I also have no idea how to write in Polish nor do I know anyone who speaks polish so emailing Jacek Matera is out for now.  When it comes to designing things like this, detail is so important, I don't want anything lost in translation when I'm spending $2000 on a piece.

I think I will probably contact Jeff Wasson again.  It's expensive, but he really is one of the best in the world.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---I also have no idea how to write in Polish nor do I know anyone who speaks polish so emailing Jacek Matera is out for now.  When it comes to designing things like this, detail is so important, I don't want anything lost in translation when I'm spending $2000 on a piece.
--- End quote ---

The solution to that is simple: Google Translate your email from English to Polish and you're set.  ;)

--- Quote ---Well, my harness is entirely by Jeff Wasson and Jeff Hedgecock already, so I was trying to share the love a bit
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---I think I will probably contact Jeff Wasson again.  It's expensive, but he really is one of the best in the world.
--- End quote ---

What ever suits you, go for it, and do be careful.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version