Main > The Courtyard

Longsword practice, Order of the Marshal

<< < (3/9) > >>

Sir Edward:

I think they're pretty comparable. Stylistically different, of course, but functionally I think they're equivalent.

SirNathanQ:
Apparantly they have a whole bunch of extra guards, and is an extremely unpredictable, fast paced style. Though it seems all of this extra movement comes from the fact that when a swordsman says the Italian names of the gaurds and cuts, their arms and hands involuntarily begin to move at a high velocity, leading to a sudden change of guard or strike.

Teaching the art is very difficult, as when this happens to the instructor, and they try to explain the name of the gaurd or cut they have just involuntarily used, their arms start moving again, and this can continue in a vicious unbreakable cycle for hours until the teacher passes out from exhaustion.   8)

Ian:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2012-04-13, 21:21:14 ---Apparantly they have a whole bunch of extra guards, and is an extremely unpredictable, fast paced style. Though it seems all of this extra movement comes from the fact that when a swordsman says the Italian names of the gaurds and cuts, their arms and hands involuntarily begin to move at a high velocity, leading to a sudden change of guard or strike.

Teaching the art is very difficult, as when this happens to the instructor, and they try to explain the name of the gaurd or cut they have just involuntarily used, their arms start moving again, and this can continue in a vicious unbreakable cycle for hours until the teacher passes out from exhaustion.   8)

--- End quote ---

As I person of 100% Italian ancestry, I can verify this fact... I have to remain completely silent while I type as well, or I find it impossible to keep my hands on the keys...  ;) 

SirNathanQ:
I know how it feels. The Q stands for "Quarantillo"  ;). During public speaking I often have to remind myself to keep the hands down, or at least on SOMETHING.
I'm also heavily German, so I'm pretty intense with my hand motions. If I'm in an actual argument I look like I'm reenacting one of Hitler's hate-speeches, with the way I'm throwing my arms about and gesturing.  :P

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2012-04-13, 21:43:03 ---
--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2012-04-13, 21:21:14 ---Apparantly they have a whole bunch of extra guards, and is an extremely unpredictable, fast paced style. Though it seems all of this extra movement comes from the fact that when a swordsman says the Italian names of the gaurds and cuts, their arms and hands involuntarily begin to move at a high velocity, leading to a sudden change of guard or strike.

--- End quote ---

As I person of 100% Italian ancestry, I can verify this fact... I have to remain completely silent while I type as well, or I find it impossible to keep my hands on the keys...  ;)

--- End quote ---

Lol you two are killing me!  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version