Main > The Armoury

My new 3/4 Arms

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sir Brian:
Well if you do I'll be sure to wear either my great helm or my bascinet with the visor down so my face won't be seen! ;)

Sir William:
Just in case, we should be vigilant, eh RK?

Sir Edward:
So far most of the folks I know in our area really prefer the Albion Meyer over the other choices. It simply has the best overall feel and balance. I consider the A&A Fechterspiel a close second. I have both of those.

Here's my impression of each:

* A&A Fechterspiel: I bought this one first, and it was just fine. No complaints at all. It's a little more stiff than the Albion Meyer, so I usually use this one as my harnessfechten sword now. The slightly more stiff blade performs better in half-swording.

* Albion Meyer: When Albion brought out 10 of these to WMAW a few years ago, VAF students ended up accounting for at least 5 of them. We all loved them. It's agile, performs well. The wider ricasso doesn't make as big of a difference as you might expect. The blade is relatively stiff in the middle, and more flexible toward the end, adding to safety in the thrust. But it's a little less-good for half-swording in armor. If anything, the crossguard is almost a little too wide, sometimes getting in your way. But once you're used to it, this doesn't become a factor much anymore, and can sometimes be used to your advantage.

* Albion Liechtenauer:  I don't recommend this one for unarmored bouting. It's great for drilling, or stage performance, etc, since the blade has more of a real "sword blade" look to it and will have the right feel in the bind. However, the edges are considerably thinner than the other two trainers, and if you're geared up in just gambesons, someone can get hurt. With armor, this isn't as much of a concern, and it will behave more like a real sword when half-swording. It's also a little less lively and more blade heavy than the Meyer.

Sir William:
I think I am glad that I have not reached the point you have, Sirs Edward and Brian, w/regard to needing such high quality trainers.

Sir Wolf:
:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version