Main > The Armoury

Maille chausses

<< < (2/6) > >>

Sir James A:
How skinny is "skinny"? I have a set of the regular IceFalcon chausses, and they *barely* get over my legs with just a pair of pants on, with no padding. My calves are about 17", and that seems to be about the "limit" of the chausses and they're stretched almost to the limit there.

As Ian said, it's not too hard to cut out some of the excess and then lace them closed, or just rivet up the seam. I prefer bolt cutters for cutting the rings; wire cutters don't seem to do as well, but mine aren't high end wire cutters either.

For shape, chausses seem to require less tailoring than sleeves would. If your calves and thighs and similar in size, you can't tailor at the knees because it has to slide over to get to your thighs still. About the only place you can tailor is towards the ankles/feet, and since it's a relatively small area, it's probably one of the easiest/fastest places to tailor.

I can post pics of my IceFalcon chausses with measurements, if it will help you any.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2012-02-05, 20:59:26 ---I prefer bolt cutters for cutting the rings; wire cutters don't seem to do as well, but mine aren't high end wire cutters either.
--- End quote ---

Try some straight tin snips or sheet metal snips. They are really inexpensive and do the job phenomenally well when cutting links!  ;)

SirNathanQ:
Well we all know that I of course will reccomend the cheater chausses route.  ;)

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2012-02-06, 14:06:16 ---
--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2012-02-05, 20:59:26 ---I prefer bolt cutters for cutting the rings; wire cutters don't seem to do as well, but mine aren't high end wire cutters either.
--- End quote ---

Try some straight tin snips or sheet metal snips. They are really inexpensive and do the job phenomenally well when cutting links!  ;)

--- End quote ---

Oops, I thought these were wire cutters / tin snips. That's the ones I have, after a hand full of rings, the nut & bolt that holds the 2 sides together had bent itself, and the jaws were out of alignment and wouldn't cut the rings, just bent them.

Sir Edward:

I've always used a set of 9" bolt cutters. They don't always leave the cleanest cut ("v" shaped ends on round wire), but they go right through. With aluminum, the metal is almost too soft to cut well, so I end up clipping 2 or 3 rings at once.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version