Main > The Armoury

Maille chausses

<< < (3/6) > >>

Sir William:
Ulrich, do you intend on wearing padding underneath?  That could mitigate some of the floppiness of off-the-rack chausses, which are likely built as tubes (much like the arms in OTR hauberks and such)...but it'd be a good deal less work-intensive than to build your own set from scratch.  However, if you did do that, you'd be the talk of the Faire (and here)!  ;)

Sir Ulrich:
Yes I do intend on wearing padding under them if I could find padding that would fit under them. I am considering Jolly Knight's stuff and that stuff is custom fitted so it would probably still be as skinny as my beanpole legs and would prolly pad it a bit but not by much. I was considering getting the chausses but currently trying to save money for a trip so I think making them from scratch would be cheaper. Won't go with butted just because I like my armor to be usable. Maybe I will go Sir Nathans route, I just don't like the idea of being a knight and not having leg protection. Could always go with Schynbalds which I have seen in the Majowski Bible even worn without chausses. Just dont know where to get them cause every place I see sells full greaves but not schynbalds.

Sir William:
Ulrich, what exactly are you looking for?  It helps to have a clear picture in your mind as you go about putting your kit together.  For instance, you say 'full greaves' but are you referring to cased greaves (which wrap around the entire lower leg) or just the front facing style, which reach from knee to ankle with straps around the back?  If it is the latter then that is what you are looking for; contemporary sources refer to the second one as greaves but in fact, they are schynbalds- since schynbalds did not enclose the lower leg, but usually were a single plate strapped over the front of the lower leg.  Like these...Allan at Merc Tailor made these for me a few years ago, and unlike most armorers, he pads his for a more comfortable fit!  Sorry for the shoddy pics, I've got no eye for that sort of thing.

Sir Ulrich:
Thats about exactly what I want, things like that ARE depicted in the Majowski bible as seen on his legs here:

Notice there is no maille chausses under it as well which is viable for a cheaper option to maille chausses as well as being period.
Thing is I don't know where to get anything like this everywhere that sells plate tends to make regular greaves and normal plate armor from the 14th-16th century. Same with knee cops as well. Maybe I will have to commission it, it's probably MUCH easier to make than regular greaves. I'd just want a set of those plus knee cops of the 13th century.

Sir William:
Ulrich, there are several people who make these of excellent quality...Allan would've been first on my list because not only are his wares durable and good looking, they were affordable as well.  Now, you could go with Stonekeep Armory...they've been in the biz for quite some time (I'm pretty sure Allan knows him too) - I've dealt with him before, his communications are straightforward and honest and his prices are about the best you'll find these days.

That's funny...I'm not able to get into any of his sites.  You try:  http://www.stonekeeparmory.com

Or try Illusion armoring...you can get a basic set of greaves/schynbalds for about $100/pair. 
http://www.illusionarmoring.com/

Try contacting either of the two- you might be able to talk them into doing a set of schynbalds w/floating knees or some such.

In the image you posted above, it looks like he was wearing padded chausses along with those schynbalds.  Seeing as he is a man-at-arms rather than a knight, this makes sense to me.  I would venture to say that if your hauberk was long enough, you could forego the mail chausses altogether and just go with a set of padded cuisses/chausses and the schynbalds.  I happen to like Sir Brian's set up of splinted cuisses and greaves, but that's me.  Let us know what you end up doing.

You could also do to chausses what Sir Nathan did with his (or get the riveted ones and do the same steps that Nathan did for his hauberk) if you were so inclined.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version