Main > The Armoury

Maille chausses

(1/6) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
Considering I got a huge bag of rings I been considering constructing my own riveted maille chausses. Now I know theres a few different designs to them, the tube kind that go over the whole leg and the type that only protect the foot and shin while lacing up at the back. I am very unsure about purchasing them because I got skinny little beanpole legs that WONT fit in off the rack chausses. Any suggestions?

Ian:
Well, the good thing about being skinny is that if you bought off the rack, you'd just have to remove material instead of add material. If you don't mind lacing them up, I would think the easiest route is to buy manufactured ones, cut off the excess, and then add laces. If you want to go the fitted route, they don't need to be as fitted as arms would be, but you'd still just have to sew up a seam instead of building an entire tube of riveted maille.

Sir Edward:

The nice thing about being skinny, cutting off the excess, and then lacing up the gap is this-- If you do put on some weight later, which most people do after about 10 years, you can relax the lacing and let the gap widen a bit, and not have to do any other resizing.

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah, only place I know where to get it is Icefalon and I don't think they have it in size small. Thats my main issue, i'd have. I saw some at GDFB that were the lace up ones but they dont ship to the USA which is a big deal, though I probably could get my friend in germany to order it for me and ship it here but that would cost a lot for shipping.

Ian:
So get a medium and a good set of wire cutters, that would still be easier than buiulding a pair from scratch.  It would also probably be less expensive than importing a small from overseas, not to mentioin you'd save about 200 hours in labor building them.  All I envision you would need to do is cut a seam down the back of the leg and then remove material equally from both sides until the fit is right for whatever your leg circumference is.  Then just add laces.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version