"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: Group purchase of shields from Allan / Merc's Tailor?  (Read 56214 times)

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Group purchase of shields from Allan / Merc's Tailor?
« Reply #75 on: 2012-03-03, 18:04:26 »
I wonder if any of those prepaid MC/VISA cards might be the answer for your PayPal woes. You could always 'preload' the available balance on the card when you want to make a purchase.  :-\

I can't even use those, because I have reached my "sending limit" without a verified and linked bank account. Otherwise I'd just use my bank card, which can be used as a credit card. Honestly, I wouldn't bother with Paypal because I've had so many problems with them in the past, but increasingly merchants prefer it for online purchases and it's pretty much mandatory for ebay.

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #76 on: 2012-03-06, 21:40:11 »
Allen I sent out a Postal Money Order yesterday for my shield. I finally did get to talk to Paypal people and someone at my Credit Union. It looks like we are making some progress on the issue, but still no resolution. I am hopefull that by the time the shields are done, I will have this resolved so I can pay the shipping via Paypal. If not, I'll send you another M.O. to cover it.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #77 on: 2012-03-07, 01:23:23 »
Debating on jumping in right now, I seem to of forgotten about this thread :s Just don't have a credit card myself...

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #78 on: 2012-03-07, 12:16:40 »
Ulric, you can go the money order/ check route as Matt did. I've held off ordering the necessaries for his in case he was unable to get things sorted out ( which he has ). I will be ordering a second side of facing leather and getting a third sheet of plywood when his check comes in and will have the rawhide, fabric and strapping leather in already so would have the supplies at hand to do it.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #79 on: 2012-03-07, 18:50:14 »
Debating on jumping in right now, I seem to of forgotten about this thread :s Just don't have a credit card myself...

As somebody with lots of MercTailor / Allan gear, I suggest jumping on the opportunity while it's available.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #80 on: 2012-03-07, 22:07:20 »
Think I'll go with the early heater as I am doing mid to late 13th century. Still unsure if the early heater is period to that time but I think it is, correct me if I am wrong.

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #81 on: 2012-03-07, 22:45:41 »
Ulric, the early heat we used to make was based on a 12th century example that was actually a converted teardrop shaped shield. It had has the top curved portion removed. There is considerable overlap between the early and late types over time with a number of slight variations in size and shape to be seen. You can find both in existance at the same time in the 13th and earlier 14th centuries. The designation of " early " and " late " as we used them on the old site was more to give a reference point for clients rather than go into a long winded history lesson on how the type developed over 200 years.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #82 on: 2012-03-08, 00:15:50 »
In that case I think I'm gonna go with early so it wont look out of place in the earlier centuries. Can always find older weapons in the later centuries but never later weapons in earlier centuries. I am gonna try to talk my folks into letting me borrow their credit card or something and I'll pay the back later.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #83 on: 2012-03-10, 06:28:01 »
So when are these being made my folks agreed to helping me purchase it using their credit card. Are they gonna come painted?

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #84 on: 2012-03-10, 14:13:34 »
Ulric, I started the ones that are ordered last week. Each much be cut out, go into the press to cure for 24 hours, be drilled, trimmed up and sanded, have the fabric backing glued down, strapping riveted in, leather facing glued down, rawhide applied, steel joint clips applied and stuff leather arm pad applied between the straps.

Painting is something done by my wife. She would need to see a picture of what you want painted to give you a quote on cost.

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #85 on: 2012-03-10, 14:15:39 »
helping me purchase it using their credit card.

Ulric, your folks will need to tie thier card into a paypal account. I haven't been able to process credit cards since closing ( not point in paying $250 a month for proseccing fees for a site I don't have ).

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #86 on: 2012-03-11, 02:24:55 »
Just as by way of an update, I was able to finally get all my paypal problems fixed. Apparently they depostited the verification amounts into a holiday account my wife had linked to our checking account. I am not sure how that happened, but they say they have everything straitened out. When I bought something off ebay tonight, the paypal payment went through so I guess everything is ok.  I should be able to pay shipping via paypal when the shields are done now, HOORAY!

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #87 on: 2012-03-11, 04:03:41 »
My folks said they can pay via paypal no problem, if thats more convenient for you than credit then I will do it that way.

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #88 on: 2012-03-11, 15:03:20 »
My folks said they can pay via paypal no problem, if thats more convenient for you than credit then I will do it that way.

Paypals fine.

I'm taking the third shield out of the press today. Amongst other things today, i'll be doing clean up on the first three sets of boards. I'll be making a run to the supplier tommorow for another piece of wood to get the fourth shield in the press.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #89 on: 2012-03-12, 00:13:25 »

Paypals fine.

I'm taking the third shield out of the press today. Amongst other things today, i'll be doing clean up on the first three sets of boards. I'll be making a run to the supplier tommorow for another piece of wood to get the fourth shield in the press.

Awesome. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent