Main > The Courtyard

WMAW 2011

<< < (3/8) > >>

Sir Brian:
Leganoth,
Several of us are students of Western Martial Arts. Some of us like myself are novices while others are far more advanced or even instructors such as forum members Das Bill and Swordchick. Sir Edward posted a link to a HEMA alliance map:
http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,916.0.html,
however I didn't see any affiliates west of the Mississippi, which doesn't mean there are no schools or groups in the greater LA area, just that you'll have to do some searching after all AFAIK my school isn’t part of the HEMA alliance but is fairly prolific and stable.
I took the liberty of doing a quick google search of the LA area and got this hit.
http://academyofarms.com/info/location.html

Sir Edward:
Well, we're about to start our 4th and last day at WMAW. Classes start late on Sunday since the Saturday night partying tends to run late into the night.

I have lots of pictures to share, etc, which I'll work on when I get back. I even got some pictures of actual 14th century armor bits. They're small fragments, like plates from a CoP and a besegew, but cool in any case.

And Sir Brian, I need to show you the "reverse grip" stuff we did in one of Christian Tobler's classes. It's not what you're thinking from the name. But it's cool.

Sir Edward:
I'm about to start the return trip home.

Just thought I'd take a moment and say that the Deed of Arms was really a great event. I didn't get to fight of course, but some folks want me to in the future, I think. Bill will have more to say since he fought in it. I think some people recorded it, so I hope to see it on youtube before long. I got several pictures from each bout.

That was an awful lot of great armor, and chivalric behavior in one place. They had tournament tents set up, with the stone church as the backdrop. The list was roped off, and each bout was heralded with the fighters banners placed at the list's gate.

The fighting was really good. You could tell at times that people were having equipment malfunctions or limited vision issues, but their fighting instincts and training filled the gaps. It looked great from the sidelines.

And yes, I walked around in full harness, armed with a camera. :)

The one odd thing was that when they had a poleaxe malfunction, and needed to find one quickly, apparently they grabbed mine without asking. I'd have gladly offered, but I also could have warned them that the thrusting tip would come off, since the retention ring broke the day before. So of course, mine malfunctioned too. I may just duct-tape the darned thing in place at this point.

All in all, a great event! More to come.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote ---And Sir Brian, I need to show you the "reverse grip" stuff we did in one of Christian Tobler's classes. It's not what you're thinking from the name. But it's cool.
--- End quote ---

Cool! Man I can't wait to see it, but by my estimations you won't be able to show me until your wedding day!  :o
Well I'm sure Kat will understand why we'll be late!  ;)

Sir William:
Can't wait for the pics and vids.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version